Bullwhip?

Horsewright,

That is some beautiful rawhide work. It is good to know some of the old traditional ways remain.

I seem to remember unsalted butter being used to treat rawhide.

Tom

Tom thanks. I hadn't heard that one about the butter but sounds good. Butter comes from cows right?

Too late, did already: http://www.amazon.com/Lessons-round...=1-2-spell&keywords=lessons+from+the+roundpen

Somebody reprinted it and put this cover on it. This ain't the original cover. Used copies of the original show up now and then for $200 there on Amazon. I should of kept a bunch and bent the pages up and sold em as used. New they went for $18.35. Could of made some $$.
Haha I know. I know too much actually. You can expect my blackmail ransom anytime. :)
I have a nylon whip, if done correctly they can be great.

That's paracord right?

Yup, that's paracord. The paracord has the inner core removed so it is flat and has metal shot.

Yup, that's paracord. The paracord has the inner core removed so it is flat and has metal shot.
The whip making suppliers sell shot, unfortunately I haven't found one that sells everything I need for a roo bullwhip. The spike nail (or better, spring steel rod), shot and other supplies can be sourced from all over, but it would be better for me to start with a kit that includes instructions, I think. On the other hand, I never had a decent sheath before I needed to have one (so I made it). Maybe I need to start thinking about moving down under, or surround myself with alligators. :D

How much of a Roo hide do you need to make a whip ?
Can you not source it over there ?
Do you want me to do some research on suppliers over here ?

Ken

How much of a Roo hide do you need to make a whip ?
Can you not source it over there ?
Do you want me to do some research on suppliers over here ?

Ken
They aren't actually that expensive, around $100 US for a hide. I'm not sure how much lace that would make, but I assume it would be quite a lot. Most of the hides I've seen ship directly from Australia, but I haven't looked into what they ship for. Obviously most (all?) come from your neck of the woods, but I haven't priced hides that are domestically available.

I think my biggest question is how wide is the lace used, and how many meters are needed for an average 8' whip. I think it would be far better for me to just buy the lace rather than lace my own hide. I have one of those wooden strap makers, but don't relish the thought of lacing out whatever I'd need.

Thanks for the offer though Ken! I truly do appreciate the helpful nature of the kind folks in this forum.

Hi. I personally have never made a whip but I did have one made by Michael Murphy from Australia three years ago. It's a bull whip made from kangaroo leather and its a beast. Mr Murphy is a world renowned maker and user, plus he holds a few World records for cracking. I know you can find information on him, through the web and there is a lot of info on using and making the whips. Maybe some of that information could help you out. :D

Hope this helps,
Donnie

Strig now ask Ken how endangered roos are in his neck of the woods. Then ask why roo hide can't be shipped to the Peoples Republik of Kali. Its verbotten here. Oh I remember cause gansta s use it to make bandoliers for their 30 round mags! Must be the reason.

I make them from nylon but have not invested in the leather yet. Just make them for family and friends. I make them from paracord mostly( seven strands removed) I would suggest this for your first whip so you get a feel for how much braiding there is and how sore your hands will get. A fun and very easy professional cracking whip can be made from athletic tape, ball chain and nylon braided rope attached to a PVC handle. Very accurate and very loud. Check out "How to Make a Bullwhip by Adam CWM on youtube. Great video.

(& Such)

I've been a fan of playing with bullwhips since I was a kid and saw Indy rocking one. I've had a few, although never a good one.

Has anyone here ever made one? Ideally they are made from kangaroo, but I can see that getting pretty expensive. There are some instructions around the web that show how to make one from paracord which I have plenty of. I figure it will give me some idea of how much work is involved, while also learning some tying/braiding techniques.

I'd really like to know if any of you have attempted anything like this.

I made a short one from full para cord with a deer leg bone handle started with eight went to six and finally down to four strands. Its pretty ugly but it pops. I have been thinking of trying to do one made like a furled fly fishing leader but it is still on my list of things to try. Maybe somebody has tried it already.

I have made several, back when I was in high school. I made several Australian stock whips and one shot whip. I have several books on them, one by the guy that made the indania jones whips. They are a lot of work, and a lot of fun. The ones I made where four layers. A twisted leather, covered by a 6 plate braid, covered by a wrap of leather, covered by a 12 plate braid. I stRed one with a 36 plate, but quite when I couldnt get the braid to look as neat as I wanted. I can find the book tomorrow if you want. Maybe even some pics of one of them.

I have made several, back when I was in high school. I made several Australian stock whips and one shot whip. I have several books on them, one by the guy that made the indania jones whips. They are a lot of work, and a lot of fun. The ones I made where four layers. A twisted leather, covered by a 6 plate braid, covered by a wrap of leather, covered by a 12 plate braid. I stRed one with a 36 plate, but quite when I couldnt get the braid to look as neat as I wanted. I can find the book tomorrow if you want. Maybe even some pics of one of them.
That'd be cool. :)

While and whipmaking by David W. Morgan is a good one, lots of pics, lots of history, theory, and good reference. It doesn't spell it out for you though.

Whipmaking, A Beginners Guide by Denis Rush spells it out, but all the illustrations are drawn. He is guy that made all the Indy whips. They used several for the movies. This book tells you step by step how to.

While and whipmaking by David W. Morgan is a good one, lots of pics, lots of history, theory, and good reference. It doesn't spell it out for you though.

Whipmaking, A Beginners Guide by Denis Rush spells it out, but all the illustrations are drawn. He is guy that made all the Indy whips. They used several for the movies. This book tells you step by step how to.
Thanks brother, I found a copy of the Rush book on Amazon. I didn't realize that there were so many!

Ron Edwards has a good book as well on whip making. I have made one from Latigo hide. It was special. I didn't skive the edges just cut the hide and did a 4 plait whip. Found a straightish stick and attached it to the whip. Cracked it a few times and hung it off of a cow skull in the shop. I have two red hide whips and a roo hide whip. It is one of my goals this year to braid more. I want to do whips and wallet chains.

I've made two using paracord: one bullwhip, and the second a snakewhip (lacking a solid handle). Lots of fun to play with and not really hard to do if you have a good vice and lots of paracord. I used the tutorials from Nickswhipshop on youtube and got all the information I needed from them. They crack very loud and are a good wrist workout, too. The fact that the snakewhip is flexible all the way down to the end means it can roll up and fit in a large pocket, too...

Back