bumps on blade?

Discussion in 'Shop Talk - BladeSmith Questions and Answers' started by Johnny Diamond, Apr 5, 2020.

1. Johnny Diamond

Johnny Diamond

Sep 16, 2014
    I have a buck 105 that has developed bumps on the blade, for lack of better words, lol. It reminds me of when an old car bumper rusts from under the chrome and bumps arise in the chrome. Can anything be done to remove them. I haven't tried grinding them down as I think it might just make the situation worse. I posted this in general forum but got no responses. Thanks

any suggestions/comments welcome.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. Bill DeShivs

Bill DeShivs KnifeMaker / Craftsman / Service Provider Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Jun 6, 2000
    It's rust. Scrub it with 0000 steel wool. Once it's removed, there will probably be pits left.

3. Johnny Diamond

Johnny Diamond

Sep 16, 2014
    Well, I got really aggressive with some steel wool on one of the bumps. I eventually got it smoothed some. But it now looks black and if you run your fingernail over it you can feel a divot. Again like if a piece of coating came off, like a 1950 Chevrolet bumper had chrome pealing off of it.

Next.......

4. FredyCro

FredyCro

Jan 11, 2019
    Wild guessing, but it looks like it may be chromed or nickel plated.. The edge does look to have a duller color then the rest. If it is plated do not scrub with wool.
    What you described sounds like a piece of chrome chipping off..

5. Johnny Diamond

Johnny Diamond

Sep 16, 2014
    This is a Buck 105 blade. are they plated with something like chrome?

6. Bill DeShivs

Bill DeShivs KnifeMaker / Craftsman / Service Provider Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Jun 6, 2000
    If they are plated, it would be with industrial hard chrome. I would call Buck and ask them.
    Steel wool won't hurt chrome plating.

7. Bill DeShivs

Jun 6, 2000
    If you have some gun cold bluing, you can apply it to the blade in a discreet spot. If it's plated the bluing will have no effect-if the blade is carbon steel.
    Cold bluing will also have little to no effect on stainless steel.

8. Johnny Diamond

Johnny Diamond

Sep 16, 2014
    thank you for comments.