Buoy, Junior, & the Bull

All mass production techniques. I've seen 'em in China. I thought you are a custom maker :confused:

Oh well :D :thumbsup:

Ray
Busted, I struggled between using 3D printers or injection molding until I found these sweats shops! They're the greatest!:D

Man, that's going to be a looker!!:eek::thumbsup:
I hate whoever is getting that one!:mad:

Great WIP, John! Thanks for taking the time to do these.:)
Thanks Dennis, hopefully I'll remember to get more pictures as I go. I'll be attaching the end cap hopefully in the wee hours tonight.

John said wee, and some reason I laughed!

Agreeing with Jared here (I know!), I love this thread, too... :thumbsup:

That knife is looking good John, can't wait to see it finished.

Scott, are you getting any requests based on my recent, albeit limited FB props? If not, and you'd like some work kicked your way, I'll ramp it up; your call.

I was asked recently how proud I leave the tang above the cap before I peen. Unfortunately the answer was, "I have no idea" lol. I guessed around .03 or .04ish. Figure I'd measure this one.

IMG_20180513_223125045-1024x1365.jpg
Looks like this one is .03" high with a .143" thick tang and .394" tall.

I'm gonna texture this one so took the cap down to 600 grit random swirls to avoid striations. The swirls will disappear in the texture, sometimes directional sanding shows up in certain light.

From here I'll mix some epoxy and peen it before it cures.

Wow, that's a really geeky post.

Geeky edit: When I start to peen, I'll clamp the blade in the vice, not the handle material.

Last edited:
I was asked recently how proud I leave the tang above the cap before I peen. Unfortunately the answer was, "I have no idea" lol. I guessed around .03 or .04ish. Figure I'd measure this one.

View attachment 905640
Looks like this one is .03" high with a .143" thick tang and .394" tall.

I'm gonna texture this one so took the cap down to 600 grit random swirls to avoid striations. The swirls will disappear in the texture, sometimes directional sanding shows up in certain light.

From here I'll mix some epoxy and peen it before it cures.

Wow, that's a really geeky post.

Geeky edit: When I start to peen, I'll clamp the blade in the vice, not the handle material.
Oh, man! No body told me there would be math!!:eek::confused::D

All good stuff, John!:thumbsup:

I zoomed right through the math (geeky is right) but have taken meticulous notes from there. I see in the last photo that you seem to be taking inspiration for your peen pattern from infinite space :cool:. It appears to be modeled after a Cluster Galaxy - perhaps the Virgo Cluster o_O. Impressive :thumbsup:

I'm likin' it :)

Ray

Back