Burl Macro

That's some pretty impressive depth of field for macro shots. What lens, A and E, are you shooting?

The first pics are an old nikon coolpix 995
The last batch was a canon 7D, 100mm L macro
The ironwood burl shots were f13, 2 seconds, low watt incandescent
Tripod, remote shutter, no IS

ayxMxMy.jpg

VyRmjat.jpg

Last edited:
Great pics! I have some macros to add to my monarch thread, see faces and what not everywhere in BEB

Wow, Lava. Is that a bass that you're building? Looks kind of like a Modulus. So awesome! :thumbup:

+1 on the Van Gough . Was thinking Starry Night.
fn5aUOY.jpg

1920px-Van_Gogh_-_Starry_Night_-_Google_Art_Project.jpg

I love macro photography, but was never good at managing the depth of field. Always wanted to mess around with stacking macros for depth.

Would be interesting to up the grit on the sanding to get rid of the scratches. If I recall correctly, they usually only go to 600 or so. Would be neat to take it to about 2000. Since the finish is mineral oil, I'd think there would be little issue although I took my runt inspired knife's burl to 1200 and it's got a strange high pitched sound when you handle it gently.

Agree on the Starry night reference, went there as well.

Phillip/Vance in a recent "from the shop" photo set showed his abrasives tray, http://www.bladeforums.com/forums/s...-Behind-the-Scenes-Fiddleback-Forge-1-20-2015. He described the use of 400 grit paper followed by grey and then white scotch brite. Those are rated respectively 800 and 1500 by 3M I believe. Have some on order from a woodworking supply house and looking forward to finding out. http://woodworker.com/6x9-scotch-brite-800-grit-lt-gray-mssu-125-762.asp

The pics in this thread continue to make me cringe, due to the magnified scratches, etc, then also amaze me with views of the burls that are unexpected. Great thread.

If i would not know any better i would say that handle in the last pciture was also done by a guy that was missing one ear :)
Awesome pics TripleT...

Guhul said:
that handle in the last pciture was also done by a guy that was missing one ear
Awesome pics TripleT...

Belt grinders can be dangerous :eek:

Back