Burnley/ Boker/ Protech...Kwaiken Auto

Recently got this auto from Boker.
It's designed by Lucas Burnley and made by Protech for Boker
I don't understand how this works, but I'm glad good companies are producing
Burnley designs. This knife was also a good chance to test out Protech knives,
never bought one before and I like the Kwaiken shape.
This is the compact version. They make a little bigger full size version, but I was looking for something in this size and loved the design, so the compact version was a real plus for me.

The knife has what a lot of Protechs seem to have: 154cm, aluminum handle, auto action with with a firing button I see on a lot of Protechs. I like how simple the knife is. The size and simplicity remind me of my Small 21. The neutral handle shape and stonewash finish are nice too. The clip isn't deep carry, but it's what I like where it's as deep as you can go and still have enough knife to grab to get it out of your pocket.

The steel is what you'd expect, a little soft but pretty tough, easy to sharpen, and holds an edge pretty okay. Better than AUS 8 but just shy of VG10. Tougher than both though.
In other words, typical 154 CM but not bad steel especially for every day work tasks.

The auto action is normally strong and locks up solid, but it's like a semi-auto pistol where if you don't hold it tight or properly it misfires and jams or in this case the knife will sort of bounce off the stop pin and not lock. I don't know yet if this is a problem, I'm holding the knife wrong, or the knife needs breaking in. Overall I really like the knife and the non-locking issue seems to get less and close to non-existent the more times I open and close the knife.

The up-swept blade shape may not be the most utilitarian. I normally carry a wharncliffe, hawkbill, or drop point for pure utility, this blade shape easily slides through material because the blade shape causes it to slide out after making an incision. Generally, an american style tanto shape offers me more utility with two flat edges. This could also be a shape I'm still learning to use, you definitely have to roll your hand with the curve of the blade to get the most out of the edge. It does general tasks like opening boxes and cutting string just fine.
This blade shape is my favorite to look at right now, so if it does general cutting tasks good and razor blade type tasks sort of okay, I'll just use the utility razor when needed to carry this "sharp" ;) looking blade.

I may update this thread if there's interest. I like the knife overall and I'd definitely recommend it for an EDC.

163fe79174cd2ad6966e67cf11f50a9069f0e2ca.jpg

d53b9c626797e6e75f897a688c3b3f1947361111.jpg

7387fee4af9a8ec7e9da8b14ffcb888116cf1623.jpg

6a479e579abd06e9950e92c683eaddb42943607d.jpg

93fd1adc67f6744f37401385f6a489fa84fdaed0.jpg

Last edited:
Just figured out the lock up issue when firing. o_O
I was continuing to hold the button down after pressing it to open the knife. :p
Meaning, the lock was disengaged so there was nothing to catch the blade and lock it open once it hit the stop pin.
Bit of a tough habit to break because I naturally want to maintain pressure with my thumb
to keep the knife secure in my hand while opening :confused:, but I think I'm getting the hang of things. :D

Hmmm, that's a bit of an odd action. That just doesn't seem right, shouldn't the stop pin be in the right place to stop it? Do you think tightening the pivot would stop it from bouncing off the stop pin?

By the way, I've read a few of your threads and reviews recently, and I really enjoy them. Keep it up man!

Hmmm, that's a bit of an odd action. That just doesn't seem right, shouldn't the stop pin be in the right place to stop it? Do you think tightening the pivot would stop it from bouncing off the stop pin?

By the way, I've read a few of your threads and reviews recently, and I really enjoy them. Keep it up man!
I tried that but the action got a little funny and the firing action itself was nice from the factory, so I went back to the"factory setting".
I've been experimenting and observing the way I open the knife and the things that stick out to me are:
1. It's a small auto with limited purchase- often I'm holding the button all the way down and tight just to hold the knife while opening
this keeps the lock disengaged at the time the knife hits the stop pin
2. It's a small auto with limited purchase- the knife ever so slightly grazes my fingers when opening because I want to hold the knife in my hand
vs. in my fingers, but due to the smaller size I have to hold the knife more in my fingers than in my hand which causes the knife to misfire
and the only thing I can compare it to is some of the smaller semi-auto handguns I've fired with the wrong grip which caused a shell casing to jam.

3. There is a definite sweet spot with good purchase, out of the way of the blade, and off the firing button. The blade fires hard and locks up solid when held right.
I suspect the combination of the of the knife breaking in, my fingers getting a little stronger, and just plain ole getting used to it is helping a lot.
The misfires are less frequent but still occur occasionally. They occur when I just pull the knife out of my pocket and hit the button.
They never happen when I deliberately take the knife out, adjust my grip, center my thumb over the button, firmly depress and release.
The "slow roll" of the auto world, if you will... :cool:

It could be argued that this is the correct way to open an automatic anyway since it is safer due to being more conscious of what you are doing.
I'm not what you would call an auto enthusiast, just a generalized knife enthusiast with a partiality to comfy EDC blades like the Delica and Small Sebenza.
This being the case, I take at least small issue with a blade that isn't intuitive for me because why would I want something less convenient that what I already have?
Because autos with a Kwaiken blade shape are tons of fun and very cool! The drawbacks diminish and/or disappear once you "learn the knife" and it's totally worth it.

I think most auto enthusiasts would love this blade right out the box, but newbies like me really should take time to break it in and get used to the auto mechanism
before they deem the knife irritating or flawed. Don't blame the knife's mechanisms for your weak, uncoordinated hands! I don't recommend this knife
to vulnerable populations. You should be between the ages of 18-108 and in fair to middling health to operate this knife problem free. For further issues see paragraph 3.

Thank You! :D:cool::thumbsup:

Back