Burr king 760

I have a chance to pick up an older model 760 with very little use on it. Guy who has it says it has a 1.5" belt on it. Can I also run a 2"? From what I understand that's the preferred size by knife makers? I see you can buy a new 760 with either size. I'm just not sure if you need to change anything to do so. Thanks for your help.

I didn't look to see what length belts the 760 runs but changing belt widths on Burr Kings is often just a matter of changing the proper wheels and Burr King is superb in helping customers with aftermarket purchases for their stuff, I would recommend calling them--one thing I can tell you--all of Burr King's stuff is high quality, and will last you last you a long time--had a 5 series 1x42 (actually started life as 1.5 x 42) that is over 20 years old and it has seen a ton of use and it still runs like a sewing machine.

Good luck

I didn't look to see what length belts the 760 runs but changing belt widths on Burr Kings is often just a matter of changing the proper wheels and Burr King is superb in helping customers with aftermarket purchases for their stuff, I would recommend calling them--one thing I can tell you--all of Burr King's stuff is high quality, and will last you last you a long time--had a 5 series 1x42 (actually started life as 1.5 x 42) that is over 20 years old and it has seen a ton of use and it still runs like a sewing machine.

Good luck
Cool thanks for the response. That's mainly why I'm look at burr king just for the longevity aspect. But the pheer grinders do look nice also

IIRC, that unit takes a 1.5X60 belt. I think it also comes in 2X60 model, but buying all three wheels and changing them would negate any savings on the deal.

A 1.5X60 will work just fine for knifemaking. If you ever outgrow it, it will likely become your handle grinder, so the money will be well spent. Belts will be readily available from all the major suppliers.

If it is a VS type, I would get it in a heartbeat. New, they run about $3000.Some are single speed three phase, and easily convertible by only adding a VFD. If it is a single phase unit you will have to change the motor and add a VFD.

The single speed units run crazy fast at 8000 SFPM. IIRC, they sell a slow down replacement wheel that drops it to around 5000SFPM.

Things to check out:
Voltage and phase requirements ( some are three phase, and most are 220VAC)
variable speed or single speed
condition of wheels and bearings
does it run fairly quite, or is there a squeal or other odd noise
vibration
accessories

Back