Burt Reynolds knives

I purchased two knives and sheaths from Burt Reynolds in the recent auction hosted by Julien's auctions of Beverly Hills. Have not received them yet, and really know little about them, juts thought they were cool, and used by him personally. The auction description is:

Two hunting knives with leather sheaths, one personalized to Burt Reynolds from Art Veloso.
Larger, length, 19 1/2 inches
PROVENANCE From the Collection of Burt Reynolds

187117_2.jpg

http://www.julienslive.com/view-auctions/catalog/id/146/lot/59744/?url=/my-items/won/

Does anyone know anything about these knives or wish to speculate on value?[/B]

Impossible to say much from that tiny photo. The top knife could be a custom or a low-end import - it's a common style of Bowie knife.
The second knife looks more interesting.

Here's a bit larger image. Still can't see much, although it becomes evident the top knife handle is made from plywood. Probably dymondwood or similar.
187117_0.jpg

If you zoom the picture large, you can see that, "personalized to Burt Reynolds from Art Veloso" refers to a written inscription on the long sheath. Still can't make out the tang stamp on the Bowie.

This other one from the collection is a bit cheesy, perhaps received as a gift.
187116_0.jpg

My guess, the value of these items can be 90% attributed to the fame of the previous owner. ;)

What a neat thing to collect though. I hope you can post some good pictures and more information once they arrive. :thumbup:

Great point, marcinek!

Love old knives and they were worth to me what I paid at the time I bid. I am however going to try to track down Art Veloso or his family and see if they want his gift back. Believe he was an actor and stuntman, but not sure of his relationship with Burt.

As promised, here are some additional photo's of the Burt Reynolds knives. The 14-15" Bowie is a Bowen WV Blades.

The larger 19" machete-type knife (what is the correct name for this knife?) is possibly handmade, the handle looks hand-carved, and it looks older than 1968. It has BR stamped in it (Burt Reynolds I assume) and on the sheath it says: To Burt Reynold (sic) Feb 28, 1968 From Art Veloso.

Attachments

• machete 1.jpg
    machete 1.jpg
    61.7 KB · Views: 89
  • machet 2 .jpg
    machet 2 .jpg
    54.7 KB · Views: 251
  • bowie knife 3.jpg
    bowie knife 3.jpg
    49.5 KB · Views: 94
  • bowie knife 2.jpg
    bowie knife 2.jpg
    49.8 KB · Views: 83
  • bowie knife 1.jpg
    bowie knife 1.jpg
    72.1 KB · Views: 87
Those things are awesome! I remember hearing about it and looking up the auction a while back. Glad a fellow BF member has them, thanks for sharing the updated photos!:thumbup:

My wife told me a few weeks ago that she saw a news story about ole' Burt being in pretty extreme financial trouble. I wonder if these knives were sold for that reason?

Someone reported that Burt was selling for financial reasons, but his spokesman denied that and said he was just cleaning house. I heard through the grapevine that he is not in perfect health and wish him the best.

Saw him on an episode of Fast and Loud a while back and he looked pretty bad. I always enjoyed his movies and wish him the best as well.

Thanks for the info on the machete being a Filipino Barong Rich S. -- you rock! Pretty sure that Art Veloso, the actor/stuntman who gave it to Burt was Filipino.

Rasco, were you kidding about evening shade?

This is quite an old thread, so I emailed the guy quoting your post.

Hopefully he gets in touch.

As promised, here are some additional photo's of the Burt Reynolds knives. The 14-15" Bowie is a Bowen WV Blades.

The larger 19" machete-type knife (what is the correct name for this knife?) is possibly handmade, the handle looks hand-carved, and it looks older than 1968. It has BR stamped in it (Burt Reynolds I assume) and on the sheath it says: To Burt Reynold (sic) Feb 28, 1968 From Art Veloso.

attachment.php

This one looks like a chopper made in the northern Philippines. It's typically called a dahong palay which translates to rice leaf. It's called that because the general shape is similar to a rice leaf.

Here's mine.

8siZhP8.jpg

Back