1. Week 51 of the BladeForums.com Year of Giveaways is live! Enter to win a Spyderco C244GP Native Chief
    Click here to enter the drawing for your chance to win a Spyderco C244GP Native Chief G10 + Misc Prize Pack , Bladeforums.com swag or memberships! Be sure to read the rules before entering!

Entries will close at 11:59PM Saturday, Dec 21 ; winners will be drawn on Sunday @ 5pm on our Youtube Channel: TheRealBladeForums. Bonus prizes will be given during the livestream!

Questions? Comments? Post in the discussion thread here
  2. Week 50 drawing for the BladeForums.com 20th Anniversary Year of Giveaways live stream, going on from 5-6PM eastern!!
    Tune in to our YouTube Channel, http://www.youtube.com/TheRealBladeforums, we'll be drawing winners for BladeForums.com merchandise & the grand prize:
    a Kizer C01C Sheepdog Ki4488A & Ka-Bar Dozier Folding Hunter, Cold Steel Stickers & Boker Tree Brand Hat , along with BladeForums branded gear!

Additional prize(s) will be awarded to people in the livestream chat, so watch for your chance to win bonus prize(s)

Bush craft/BOB testing

Discussion in 'General Knife Discussion' started by WillB, Jan 3, 2019.

1. WillB

WillB Gold Member Gold Member

Feb 3, 2007
    I decided to go camping to see if my BOB had what it should to supply what I needed for 48 hours (although could be stretched to 72 easily) and try some bush craft with a new Hardcore Hardware fixed blade MFK-02 GEN II.

I used it for all the usual uses for a camp site prep and making a fire. Fire wise, I used a
    Sportsman Pocket Chainsaw from my BOB to cut a 4' piece of wood that was maybe 6" diameter from a downed tree and dragged out of the brush. I used the Sportsman Pocket Chainsaw to cut into 4 pieces. While the "manual chainsaw" works, it's work to use one, that's for sure. Hard to beat in terms of weight and space it takes up however. I then did the baton thing on the 4 pieces to split in two and and 4 parts for my main firewood supply. I think it was spruce.

Kindling was easy to find where i was, and I used a fire rod and and cotton balls impregnated with Vaseline (great cheap fire starters BTW) to start the fire.

I found the knife was just right size wise for the jobs it did, and it didn't even scuff the coating on the blade much less do any damage to the knife. The ergonomics fit my (smallish) hands perfectly. So far, this knife is exactly what I have been looking in hard use utility/survival type knife.

Other camp chores were all good. I didn't do any slicing of food with it as I was eating the dehydrated stuff from the BOB (surprisingly good BTW) and an MRE.

Only "cheat" was I did use a tent and did bring a gallon of water as i didn't want to use a Life Straw or water supplies in the BOB. I did sleep in the Woobie blanket I had in the BOB, and that was not very comfortable (I'm getting to old for sleeping on the ground frankly) but warm enough. In a true emergency where a BOB would get used, I have a mil issue poncho I would use to make a shelter, but I'm just not hard core enough to wanna do it unless it's an legit emergency. What can I say, I'm a big wuss puss.

I now have to resupply what I used from the BOB, including the "emergency" Jack Daniels in the flask... 49206769_10155935016966517_5185636349461397504_n.jpg 49465148_10155935016961517_6998172875484037120_n.jpg 49564162_10155935016976517_3547730208691847168_n.jpg 49899634_10155935016956517_7918129761908424704_n.jpg

Don W, 19-3ben, Pilsner and 1 other person like this.
  2. Dangerously

Dangerously

Jan 8, 2013
    Always fun to get out into the woods for a weekend!

WillB and RoachBelly44 like this.
  3. Pilsner

Pilsner Platinum Member Platinum Member

Oct 28, 2017
    Nice write up. :thumbsup:

You could also post it on the outdoor forum, or ask a mod to move it over. Have you considered just opting for a tent in the BOB anyway? You can get pretty lightweight kit these days. Where I live it is mostly cold and wet, and although I have bivvied in bad weather, a tent is lot nicer!

WillB likes this.
  4. WillB

Feb 3, 2007
    Normally I wouldn't do it relying only on what's in my BOB, but that was an experiment I'd been meaning to try. I'd have preferred a proper grill, a hatchet, and something way softer to sleep on!

Bad Ninja likes this.
  5. WillB

Feb 3, 2007
    I could probably find a tent small enough for the BOB, but I'm pretty much at size and weight limits for a proper BOB as it is. I try to keep at at 30lbs or less (currently 28lbs) or no greater than 20% of body weight.

Pilsner likes this.
  6. Pilsner

Oct 28, 2017
    Fair enough, that is sound thinking. :thumbsup:

WillB likes this.
  7. Bad Ninja

Bad Ninja

Dec 19, 2018
    Instead of Vaseline, I use generic Neosporin (triple antibiotic ointment) on cotton balls. They double as swabs for small cuts, and are still mostly petroleum jelly.

8. Pilsner

Oct 28, 2017
    I quite like that idea. Although, the petroleum jelly may be just as effective as the antibiotic ointment for minor cuts, according to this respectable study from 1996: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/m/pubmed/8805732/

WillB and Bad Ninja like this.
  9. reppans

reppans

Oct 25, 2018
    Good test run of your BOB gear. I'm with you on the lightweight/compactness of these hand chainsaws, but if you have the Sportsman Pocket Chainsaw I've seen with cutting teeth on every third link, then I highly recommend you get the orange handled LivWild version (but there are many on Amazon) with cutting teeth on every link.... well, because it cuts 3x faster/better - clicky.

Lots of ways to reduce your BOB weight and bulk and increase functionality - my core UL camping gear: double-wall shelter/rain wear; down poncho/sleeping quilt; insulated pad/pillow; stove/kitchen/bar; water processing/purification/shower; and 'chair'..... all come in at ~5lbs/10L (I EDC ~half of it). For example, a ~1oz alcohol stove with Everclear (190 grain) fuel would more than half your stove/bar weight and bulk, and also be great for: first aid prep, fire starting, personal heater (Palmer Furnace), pot/utensil cleaning and sterilizing, mouthwash/deodorant, and making hand sanitizer/wet wipes.

Anyways.... just one obsessive UL multi-taker's $0.02.

WillB likes this.
  10. Yonose

Yonose

Jul 10, 2017
    A hammock with a mosquito net and tarp cover can be very comfortable and really not very heavy. I hate to reduce weight to the point where I can’t have the comfort of a thick wool blanket, especially if the temperature drops significantly at night.

11. Yonose

Yonose

Jul 10, 2017
    Forgot to add several additional uses for the Everclear, mixed with water

19-3ben likes this.
  12. reppans

reppans

Oct 25, 2018
    What else I miss? I said 'half your stove/bar weight', and everything after 'personal heater' kinda implies dilution.

13. Yonose

Yonose

Jul 10, 2017
    Ok, I guess you had it covered. Btw, how much would a decent kit like that cost? I like the idea of using 190 as it would be a lot easier than a petro-based product to manufacture if staying out for an extended period(assuming adequate resources, such as a shtf event).

14. WillB

Feb 3, 2007
    I have pre done the cotton balls with the Vaseline and put them in the zip lock bag. There are fully saturated with Vaseline and will burn for a long time. Using Neosporin would be expensive for that.

Bad Ninja likes this.
  15. Bad Ninja

Bad Ninja

Dec 19, 2018

Nope.
    I use the generic brand from the dollar store. 2 tubes are plenty.
    ;)
    I don't stress over $2 when outfitting a BOB.

16. WillB

Feb 3, 2007
    What ever works, but I don't personally wanna sit there in the woods working the stuff into the cotton balls (which will absorb a lot of it with some work) which will then be all over my hands and such. I pre make 15-20 and put in BOB. I'd have Neosporin in my boo boo kit also, and could make additional fire balls I suppose, but if I have run out of fireballs in the situation a BOB is really intended for, and the other means of making a fire in the BOB are also no longer working, then something has not worked out for me. My BOB is intended for approx 72 hours survival where I was forced to grab the BOB with minimal notice (hence the name) and have what I need for that time period and hopefully the emergency has passed or I found a safe place. My BOB not really set up for extended periods, and I don't have the skills to do the Rambo thing and survive weeks alone some place. Your mileage may vary.

17. Bad Ninja

Bad Ninja

Dec 19, 2018
    Lol..I premake them too. Not sure where that came from.
    My needs are different. I'm no Rambo.
    But I've camped, hunt d and fished deeper than most, for the majority of my life.
    Im also over 50 and won't be bugging out very far. I'd rather bug in. I would be fine for months at home in a total blackout.
    That's just my reality.
    My BOB is more of a "get home bag".
    I live pretty far from any pavement, in a pretty remote area, and spend ALOT of my free time in the GA woods/swamp.
    Infections from cuts and scrapes are a legitimate concern for me.

A small sandwich baggie with a dozen or so Neosporin coated cotton balls would suffice for my needs, and serve double duty. I would only need to use them to make fire in an extreme situation.

18. WillB

Feb 3, 2007
    If you're pre making them, then making them with Neosporin makes no sense to me, unless I guess you'd pull a cotton ball out and rub that on the boo boo? I suppose that makes sense. I'll have to consider that one on next batch of fire balls. Anyway, bugging in is always preferable, but that may or may not be an option. I had an experience a few years ago where I knock at the door was a cop telling me a gas line had been accidentally cut down the block and I had to leave now. I opened the closet door, grabbed the BOB, and was gone. I spent the night in a hotel with the BOB and while not exactly SHTF, I was happy I had it and it reminded me, bugging in, is not always an option.

19. Bad Ninja

Bad Ninja

Dec 19, 2018
    Boo boo?:rolleyes:
    Yes cuts and scrapes becoming infected can quickly become serious problems without proper treatment deep in the swamp. It's a real concern for anyone with experience camping deep. The swamp is unforgiving.
    Ask me how I know.;)
    Anything that can pull double duty saves precious weight and space in a BOB is a plus.
    I was just making a suggestion that can, and has been very useful for me.
    Take it or leave it.

As far as my situation.
    There are no gas lines, or sewer lines where I live, and spotty electrical service during storms.
    Emergency services are hours away.
    We have to be somewhat self sufficient.
    This isn't apocalypse prep for me, it's just every day llfe:)

YMMV.

WillB likes this.
  20. WillB

Feb 3, 2007
    Yes, common terminology among some. "Boo boo" kit is your basic IFAK which covers non life threatening boo boos, scrapes, minor cuts, etc which is different than say a GSW kit which I also have in my BOB. I shall refer to it as an IFAK if that makes you happy.

On consideration, I think it's a worthy idea.

That was just an example. Point being, we don't know what may happen that leads us to be forced to leave on short notice, and I think that's something worth being prepared for, no matter seemingly how unlikely, even if bugging in is the most likely scenario. Hope for the best, plan for the worst, and all that. I had no idea there was a gas line close to me until I had 2 minutes to leave my house...

Bad Ninja likes this.