Bushcraft knife - 2nd Prototype done - Need Feedback!!!

What thickness for handle material? 3/16" or 1/4"

• 3/16" (thinner, lighter)

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 1/4" (more palm swell)

• Either way is fine

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I'll take either, but I think the thinner scales would work better for me. Since this is not a chopper, I don't need extra weight anywhere on it and I like it balanced forward on the handle better.

Ed said it for me. However I'll be happy either way Dan.

:thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:

Another vote for the thinner version here (and I have reasonably large hands), but that said, I am in either way.

I voted for the 1/4" version but would be happy with either. By the way, the green looks super cool!

Stephen

I like the thicker handle but am curious about possibly removing some of the tang to re-position the balance forward. Maybe some holes drilled into the tang? I know that would bump up the production process but it may be worth it in the long run.

Jack

The tang is already drilled out as much as I'd like to.

Before I heat-treated the blade...I did a little "test" to see where the balance would be with the handle material on it...it was way deep into the handle (yikes!). Shouldn't be a surprise actually, since the handle is as long as the blade, and it has more "area"...plus the blade is ground significantly. So, I knew I'd have to drill out the tang to get the balance right. I drilled out both blades actually (1st & 2nd prototypes). Did the 2nd one a little more than the first...since I knew it would be getting heavier handle slabs. And, you know the rest.

Well....looks like there is no "clear winner" yet....so, against my better judgment - I'm considering offering both thicknesses. I need to figure out a way to do it right...maybe make a third of them thin, and two-thirds thick...then unload the leftovers on those with no preference.

Like I said...I can see both sides of the argument...hard to really say which is best.

Sound good to you guys?

In my mind, I can rationalize this because I'm still not "customizing" individual orders. I'll just make them at a 33:67 ratio and let you guys duke it out. :D :p

maybe make a third of them thin, and two-thirds thick...then unload the leftovers on those with no preference.

I think this would be rather difficult to pull off considering there are different handle colours too, maybe its just me not percieving it right though...

I voted for 3/16 but in all essence, I dont think it really matters to me a whole lot, each has its own benefits, neither of which seem to outweigh the other.

You shouldn't have given us the choice! I'm sure near everybody was going to be pleased as punch with the first design :)
Its just outstanding that you've been able to accomidate so many peoples ideas so far.

Thanks!
Matt

this prototype is also O1, by the way. ;)

I have to send the 3V pieces off for heat-treat....can't do them "in house" like I can O1 - which has helped in getting these done so fast. :thumbup:

Dan, I think the width of your nessie handles are just about right, and I believe those are 1/4". So put me down for 1/4", unless I'm mistaken and the nessie handles come in at 3/16" after all. Have had some trouble eyeballing the tape measure tonight. I'm blaming the Guinness...

Dan,

Wow! That is one beautiful yet simple knife - I can't wait for mine.

Dan, can I change my handle color from natural to 1/4" GREEN micarta???

PLEEEEEEEEEEEEASE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :thumbup:

Dan, I think the width of your nessie handles are just about right, and I believe those are 1/4". So put me down for 1/4", unless I'm mistaken and the nessie handles come in at 3/16" after all. Have had some trouble eyeballing the tape measure tonight. I'm blaming the Guinness...

Dude, Tom Waits, Big Lebowski and Guinness? Do I have a long lost twin?

Edit: I'm not a picky person, so balance isn't a huge concern of mine, but I do like a thicker knife handle, so I would go with 1/4", but I have a feeling I would be happy no matter what.

Also, If I do come get my knife in person, would it be at the address listed on your website?

Either is fine. I'd rack my brains out thinkin of the pros and cons of either.

Off topic, would you know what thermal cycles Mr. Bos is running on 3v. I'm sure I'm not the only one curious. Thanks.

I voted contoured, but I don't really think I'll care when I get it. All I know is that thing looks awsome and there's no doubt it will perform. I'm going to abuse that thing.

this prototype is also O1, by the way. ;)

I have to send the 3V pieces off for heat-treat....can't do them "in house" like I can O1 - which has helped in getting these done so fast. :thumbup:

I'm very excited about the 3V.

From what I've read about it it has enhanced resistance to chipping and probably my only complaint against scandi grind knives is sometimes I get the edge so fine I get a little chipping. If the 3V reduces or eliminates that it will be really outstanding!:thumbup:

Ok guys - here's the deal:

Go back to the original "Pre-Order" thread and make your preference known there.

I will update the first post to reflect those that want 1/4" scales. Everybody else's will just show the material. Take a look at the first post again and you'll see what I mean.

I'm excited about this project guys!!! :thumbup:

And I'm happy to have your input. I can't do all my projects this way....this is a kind of gray area for knifemakers....I've got several "hats" on.....custom knifemaker, manufacturer and even acting as my own dealer. Plus "design by committee" chair...:eek: :eek: :D :p

So far, it's going well and I'm still enthused! :thumbup:

Beautiful work. I fall into the 1/4" crowd. I find a wider handle more comfortable and balance deeper in my hand provides better control with detail tasks.

Back