Bushcraft - New vs Old

As I stated in the order thread I received my Bushcraft Knife today and could not believe how different it feels in hand. I think one of the most asked for changes I heard about concerning the older generations was for thicker, more hand filling scales and the gen 3 knife sure delivers. I had no issues or problems with my older bushcraft but from a first impression standpoint the new handles appear to address these concerns. I would have to give the knife a good workout to check for hot spots and such but at first glance everything appears comfortable and the knife seem to "lock into" my hand much better. I think this is due to hump on the old handle being moved from before the lanyard hole to behind the lanyard hole on the new model. It seems make the handle feel longer in the hand without adding much if any length. Also the guard is more pronounced as well. Here is a couple handle length shots maybe you can tell what I'm talking about. Old school on top, Gen3 on the bottom.

Koster_Bush_Comparison_01.jpg

Koster_Bush_Comparison_02.jpg

Here is a shot of the handle guard. Slightly more protruding. I know some dislike any kind of finger guard on a bushcraft styled knife. Personally I don't mind them on mine.

Gen3 on the left, Old School on the right.
Koster_Bush_Comparison_03.jpg

The handle thickness seems to be a major change in this generation. I think a lot of people will like this. As I said earlier I have had no problems with the thinner handles on Dan's older bushcrafters so I'll reserve judgment on how well these new one's work until I've taken it outdoors a bit. Here is a shot of the comparative thicknesses.

Gen3 on the left, Old school on the right.
Koster_Bush_Comparison_04.jpg

Koster_Bush_Comparison_05.jpg

The only other differences I can notice off the bat is the blade finish and style of thumb jimping. The thumb rest seems to be just as functional on the Gen3 as the old model. I think I like the look of the older jimping better but honestly it's probably just because I'm so used to it.

As far a the finish... I'm still up in the air. My older model had the "as forged" finish and with the exception of the blade finish seeming to load up with wood goop (baton through some wood and you'll know what I mean) I had no issues with it. Both knives I have are CPM3V and I'm wondering if the new knife will be as corrosion resistant as the old one. I had ZERO rust issues with my older bushcrafter and I really abused it. If the Gen3 is as corrosion resistant as the older one then I think the new one is much better looking (Shiny = Bling).

I didn't get a sheath with the knife as I was unsure if this was going to be a keeper. After handling it some I am going to hold on to it so now I'm looking into my sheath options. For giggles I tried throwing it in my JRE sheath I got for my old bushcrafter and there is no way it will fit. I was happy with the JRE sheath so I will probably get in touch with Dan @ JRE and see where they are with the new Koster sheaths and get one of those ordered.

Hope this helps those who were wondering about the differences in the new Gen3 model. Sorry for the long post. I don't usually type so much :foot:

Excellent comparison / review of Old vs. New!!!!!!!!
Thank you gmarthur, this answers a bunch of questions for me. :thumbup:
Looking forward to the day mine get here. ;)

Thanks for the review gmarthur. Looks like those G3 handles will really work well with my big mitts! Hopefully I can get mine before my last summer camping trip in two weeks.:)

I like the looks of the new one more, especially bigger integral hilt, and the bigger handles.

I was wondering, with the thicker handles and larger guard do you think it would make a decenct stabbing weapon? I'm interested for dog defence.

I like the original better. I like the arch along the back. I like less guard.

I like the more traction grooves.

The first one I got had a handle that was too thin too but Dan let me send it back and then he sent me one with 3/8" scales glued on so I could shape it myself. I really like it.

The newer model looks easier to make quickly but I like style of the older one
koster1bh8.jpg

koster4kj3.jpg

koster2md1.jpg

koster3wk9.jpg

Are the new ones G3 or G4? Also the first comparison looks like a new one (G3 or G4) compared to a G1. The last run had a thicker handle and a larger guard as well.

Also, the new one lacks of a forward lanyard tube and has a larger back lanyard tube. The guard seems to sweep forward more than the last run.

Last edited:
I didn't realize that the new run wouldn't have the same contours as the previous ones. That was a feature that I really liked and I wonder how these will feel.

Great thread, guys. :thumbup:

A few comments I can add to help shed the light on things:

These definitely take waaay longer to make than G1 did....and my margins are much tighter too.

Regarding contours: I think you'll find you like it better without them. This was hard for me to believe at first....since I absolutely love to shape out a good palm swell...but I have found that the wider area in the back (where the "dip" in the contouring would be) is where most people were developing "hot spots". So, that had to go. I took it out and the reviews have been very positive. I think you'll find that you are still able to lock it into your hand, since the handle does have palm swell in the tang (vertical dimension).

G4 - there is no G4 actually...it only existed on paper.....it is now called the 2009 Bushcraft. And the design is based on tons of feedback I have received from you guys, as well as other buyers/users. I couldn't do it without you!

The forward lanyard tube was a great idea that really never saw its potential. I didn't know anybody that used it as intended, and my only use was to have it as a place to "lock" the knife in a kydex sheath. I've solved the kydex issue now with a larger guard (helps to snap it in place). It didn't really save me any time or money (the cost is very low) to remove it either. But since I was using 5/16" diameter lanyards on this run (to better match the 5/16" diameter corby pin heads)...it made a better visual statement to have the front lanyard removed. Further, I did not really do many wood-handled G1 bushcrafts...and now with wood as an option...the fewer holes I drill, the stronger the handle.

I am hoping the JRE sheaths will be done soon (this week or next, perhaps?!?). The guys are really dragging their feet on it....maybe they're swamped? Who knows....

Please feel free to ask more questions, guys!

Thanks for the pics! :thumbup:

Dan

Dan, one simple question......
Is the 2009 Bushcraft the third from the top in the diagram below?
A simple yes or no is all I ask....... ;)
bushcraft0820b.gif

(drawing is to scale proportionally)
[bottom knife is bushmaster.......]

#1 is the first production run - hopefully easy to identify visually
#2 is the current batch (with the exception being that the guard is now a little longer)
#3 is a design - not in production yet
#4 is the bushmaster

the reason i call them v3 is not that it is the 3rd in that pic...but that they are a result of the 3rd run i have made. I did one run of #1 above, one run of #2 above, and one run of #2 above again but with slight modifications.

To date, #3 does not exist...it is still in the concept phase.

Dan

I don't time to look up where/when that was posted, bro. A good imagination and set of eyes will fill in the blanks.

;)

Dan

I've received a cargo full of Dan's blades. :)
11 Bushcraft, 2 Nessmuck, 1 Survivor, plus some sheaths.
Just few notes. I've tried some BRK&T sheaths but no one of mine was good. The scales on the Koster Bushcraft are too thick. I don't have an Aurora sheath to try but with Fox River or similar :thumbdn:
I've received a sheath from JRE that is fine as usual, plus I found a Talfuchre sheath that fit good for the moment.
mg3855.jpg

Great comparison, thanks for posting that!

I have a first gen Bushcraft that is one of my favorite knives. I can see the benefit of thicker scales, but it hasn't been an issue for me.

I like the look of the new model with a few caveats. Several pics I've seen of the newer Bushcraft show the plunge line of the primary grind not quite lining up with the forward side of the guard. You can see it in the third pic from the top here. And I agree about the size of the guard. I just don't need it for the typical use I put my knives to.

Other than that, it looks like a nice evolution to a wonderful knife.

The nice thing about a larger guard is that you can remove material to your liking.

Remember guys, these are not purely "custom" knives. "Handmade"? Yes. Custom One-Off? No.

Yes, I make them by hand and almost everything is done by me in my shop. But to take the time to make each one different (and truly custom) would raise the price considerably. I may do this on the next run (or after this run is over)...but not now, not at $120 base price.

Believe me, I hear you guys and would love to add everything I could to it....but there's no way I could hold the price down. It's all about the time/labor.

This knife should really be priced at $195-$225 (based on my experience/tooling and what the market is bearing right now in terms of 4" blades). I did my research, though...and managed to find a way to make them for considerably less. The trade off, of course, is that I have to build them as shown in this production run. If you want a truly custom one-off bushcraft, I will gladly do it! (just later...:p)

Dan

not at $120 base price.This knife should really be priced at $195-$225 Dan

I hear you.

Spyderco is coming out with a Bushcraft knife and I think the retail on it is going to be $200 and it's out of 01??

I can't really think of any other knife of that style and esp with a scandi grind that's anywhere in that price range.

Back