Bushfinger Six-And-Half Years Later-Day 1, Prep Work

B Griffin

Gold Member
Well...it seems my rain forest has become functional again with a vengeance. So it seemed maybe a bit of patina would be a good idea before any field work with my first Bushfnger since the prototype over 6 years ago. I decided to put the Bushfinger to work making a pasta dish for dinner. The items used were small hunks of chuck roast, garlic, shallots, mushrooms, bell pepper, and some tomatoes...and some olive oil and butter.

DSC_8883croppedC.jpg

DSC_8883.jpg

DSC_8915.jpg

DSC_8917.jpg

DSC_8922.jpg

DSC_8933.jpg

DSC_8935.jpg

DSC_8937.jpg

DSC_8940.jpg

DSC_8943.jpg

DSC_8944.jpg

DSC_8946.jpg

DSC_8948.jpg

DSC_8953.jpg

DSC_8956.jpg

DSC_8958.jpg

DSC_8960.jpg

DSC_8962.jpg

DSC_8967.jpg

DSC_8970.jpg

DSC_8977.jpg

DSC_8984.jpg

DSC_8989.jpg

DSC_8996.jpg

DSC_9009.jpg

DSC_9017.jpg

DSC_9018.jpg

DSC_9021.jpg

DSC_9022.jpg

DSC_9023.jpg

DSC_9027.jpg

DSC_9031.jpg

DSC_9033.jpg

DSC_9043.jpg

DSC_9046.jpg

DSC_9048.jpg

DSC_9052.jpg

DSC_9058.jpg

DSC_9067.jpg

DSC_9073.jpg

DSC_9076.jpg

DSC_9079.jpg

DSC_9081.jpg

DSC_9084.jpg

DSC_9085.jpg

DSC_9095.jpg

DSC_9096.jpg

DSC_9097.jpg

DSC_9098.jpg

DSC_9100B.jpg

DSC_9107.jpg

DSC_9109.jpg

DSC_9111.jpg

DSC_9112.jpg

DSC_9115.jpg

DSC_9116.jpg

DSC_9117.jpg

DSC_9118.jpg

DSC_9120.jpg

DSC_9121B.jpg

I have a start on the patina now :) And it didn't turn out half bad. Sweeter than I wanted though. Next time the bell is going to be replaced by banana and a red chili or two I think.

DSC_9134.jpg

This was the first time I have really had a good opportunity to get acquainted with a final version of the Bushfinger without worrying what I was doing to someone else's knife. I relax a lot more when I use my own. So far I can honestly say that every change I noted is definitely an improvement to the design. The handle offers a more secure purchase than the original in use and more control with less hand fatigue, yet still retains enough of the original that it is very intuitive for me. I'm really looking forward to the field work.

Last edited:

Bmurray

Gold Member
Vey cool Brian. Everyone should own a Bushfinger. Maybe we should start a thread to show them off.

Rockywolf

Gold Member
Love this thread. I want a bushfinger and the food looks delicious. Thanks for sharing.

B Griffin

Gold Member
Vey cool Brian. Everyone should own a Bushfinger. Maybe we should start a thread to show them off.

Thanks Bob. I see you did, and I made a contribution :)

Love this thread. I want a bushfinger and the food looks delicious. Thanks for sharing.

Thanks Rocky. My relationship with the Bushfinger model goes back to the prototype, when underwent a dew changes in develop,emt. But By the time I was really wanting to get one of the newer versions in 2012 was when my life really started getting complicated. In 2012 my father was ill and dying and so I relocated myself and my work to Florida for a few months, and paying bills in two places ate up any spare money, then in 2013 I ebtered a business partnership with my brother and we moved to Michigan. That didn't work out very well at all. In late 2014 we moved back to Tennessee and we have been in recovery mode it seems the entire time...

So, between my financial situation being really bad, and you know...Erich buying up most of the Bushfingers :p I had a hard time landing the final version I wanted :)

I had originally planned on the first pics happening in the Bush, but it has been non stop rain it seems lately. Then it dawned on me that food prep was exactly where I started with the prototype, and for the exact same reason. So I started there :D I think I have gotten a little better at capturing it since then.

DSC_1199.jpg

DSC_1385.jpg

DSC_1394.jpg

DSC_1460.jpg

DSC_1470.jpg

DSC_1483.jpg

But I eventually made it to the field with that one

DSC_1632.jpg

And I will get to the field with this one too, first chance I get :)

Very cool thread Brian. I wasn't a fan of my first Bushfinger but after getting my second, a scandi version in Rosewood, I became a fan. The handle is super comfortable and I prefer the profile vs the Buschcrafter. It's really interesting to see the pics of the prototype. If you didn't tell me it was a Bushfinger I would've guessed Ladyfinger as it basically looks like a Ladyfinger handle with a taller blade and more guard.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

B Griffin

Gold Member
Very cool thread Brian. I wasn't a fan of my first Bushfinger but after getting my second, a scandi version in Rosewood, I became a fan. The handle is super comfortable and I prefer the profile vs the Buschcrafter. It's really interesting to see the pics of the prototype. If you didn't tell me it was a Bushfinger I would've guessed Ladyfinger as it basically looks like a Ladyfinger handle with a taller blade and more guard.

The Bushfinger was initially developed from The Ladyfinger, hence the name, and there are a lot of similarities. But but lots of changes can occur during development of a new design when it has a different purpose than what it was inspired by. So then it grew into its own during the development phase, and was tweaked to be a better all-a-rounder. I spent almost four years using the original in a lot of uses. I much prefer the handle of the final version, and so far no complaints at all about the blade. I also much prefer the wight distribution of the tapered tang.

DSC_1605.jpg

DSC_3179LF.jpg

The Bushfinger was initially developed from The Ladyfinger, hence the name, and there are a lot of similarities. But but lots of changes can occur during development of a new design when it has a different purpose than what it was inspired by. So then it grew into its own during the development phase, and was tweaked to be a better all-a-rounder. I spent almost four years using the original in a lot of uses. I much prefer the handle of the final version, and so far no complaints at all about the blade. I also much prefer the wight distribution of the tapered tang.

DSC_1605.jpg

DSC_3179LF.jpg

Hmmm. I had always thought that the Bushfinger came before the Ladyfinger. Live and learn. [emoji3] It also seems to me that handle of the Woodsman is based on the Bushfinger handle only larger or rather, roomier.
Also, is that a Bloodwood Bushboot in the bottom of that last photo and a bolstered Bloodwood Lady?

Rockywolf

Gold Member
Good stuff, B. I like the early version too...I'd be all over a fat handled one. Maybe someday... I am certainly not going knifeless these days. (Too many of them around here! According to her, that is...)

B Griffin

Gold Member
Good stuff, B. I like the early version too...I'd be all over a fat handled one. Maybe someday... I am certainly not going knifeless these days. (Too many of them around here! According to her, that is...)

I like both for different reasons. I liked the less spear-point-like blade of the original, but I much prefer the comfort, security, and control-ability of the newer handle in use.

I think the build up for the Tolkien project is getting me that same look :D

B Griffin

Gold Member
Hmmm. I had always thought that the Bushfinger came before the Ladyfinger. Live and learn. [emoji3] It also seems to me that handle of the Woodsman is based on the Bushfinger handle only larger or rather, roomier.
Also, is that a Bloodwood Bushboot in the bottom of that last photo and a bolstered Bloodwood Lady?

Sorry Jim, I missed this one earlier, and then I caught it when I came back to ask what the issue was for you on the first one? Sometimes it takes a bit to find the right one of a model you know you want.

No, the Ladyfinger came first and was actually meant as a B&T type knife. I think that was one of the reasons the handle of the BF went through the tweaking phase. To make it taller and more oval in cross section for better control with less fatigue in power cuts in wood, and more control-able in precision cutting in game processing. I'm pretty sure the newr Woodsman handle was influenced by the Bushfinger handle shape.

I can't remember the wood on the Lady, but it isn't Bloodwood. Yes, that is a Bloodwood Bushboot. It was my first one in tapered 5/32. I traded it to a friend for a tapered 1/8 Blackwood one. He had wanted a little more heft. I knew what he meant, as I felt that way about the larger models. But was fine with 1/8 for the Bushboot, The swedged one has been a near constant companion :)

DSC_3191.jpg

DSC_3139.jpg

DSC_1965.jpg

Last edited:

Fiddleback

Knifemaker
Dealer / Materials Provider
Nice pics. your threads make me hungry these days. Love that Ironwood.

B Griffin

Gold Member
Nice pics. your threads make me hungry these days. Love that Ironwood.

Thanks. I have better cameras these days, and lights and remotes, so it's easier for me to capture what I'm going for. I do too. Most of the ones I have lusted after over the years were Ironwood. I love both the look and feel of it.

Now i need a bushfinger. Anyone have comparison pics next to a bushboot?

The Bushfinger is an excellent all around model. Here is one that shows the general idea. I can take a side by side comparison of the ones I have now later on today.

DSC_3187.jpg

Sorry Jim, I missed this one earlier, and then I caught it when I came back to ask what the issue was for you on the first one? Sometimes it takes a bit to find the right one of a model you know you want.

No, the Ladyfinger came first and was actually meant as a B&T type knife. I think that was one of the reasons the handle of the BF went through the tweaking phase. To make it taller and more oval in cross section for better control with less fatigue in power cuts in wood, and more control-able in precision cutting in game processing. I'm pretty sure the newr Woodsman handle was influenced by the Bushfinger handle shape.

I can't remember the wood on the Lady, but it isn't Bloodwood. Yes, that is a Bloodwood Bushboot. It was my first one in tapered 5/32. I traded it to a friend for a tapered 1/8 Blackwood one. He had wanted a little more heft. I knew what he meant, as I felt that way about the larger models. But was fine with 1/8 for the Bushboot, The swedged one has been a near constant companion :)

No worries Brian. Honestly, my initial complaint about the Bushfinger was aesthetic at first. I knew that I wanted to try the knife so I grabbed the first one that was available and that's always a bit of a mistake. The other problem I had with it came from the fact that I had been bouncing between a KEB and Terasaur for about a year when I got the Bushfinger. At first it just seemed that it was too bulky, if you will, when compared to those two models. After acquiring and using a Woodsman, which I thoroughly enjoyed, I realized the similarities in the handle design and thought I'd give the Bushfinger another try. That's when it came to me that my first impression was a bit too hasty and even a little unfair. When I was able to shark a scandi version with a handle config that I really enjoyed (Ill post pics as soon as I'm able), I realized that not only were my first impressions hasty, they were flat out wrong. I was only able to carry that Bushfinger for a few weeks before I started my move but I really enjoyed it. I can't wait until I'm more settled in down here and get the opportunity to put it to more use. I still think I prefer the KEB but I really want to put the Fanger to work and see what's what. :thumbup:

That Bushboot and Lady are both beautiful knives. I'm a really big fan of Bloodwood, especially when combined with black pins and/or bolsters. I'm really curious as too what kind of wood that bolstered Lady is because it's absolutely stunning. Also, it makes me super happy that the swedged Boot has found a good and deserving home. :D

B Griffin

Gold Member
It is definitely a bit bulkier than the KEB, especially if the BF was an older one with an actual full tang. Hence me wanting tapered. And the KEB and Terrasaur, and Kephart (my personal fav) are maybe better dedicated "bushcraft" knives, unless your form of bushcraft also includes primitive living. The BF dose better, in my opinion anyway, in game prep and food prep than either of the other three and still holds its own fine in whittling and carving tasks. I just remembered what the wood is on that Lady. It was CPM 154 and Padauk. I don't think anyone out there could possibly love this Bushboot anymore than I do :D

B Griffin

Gold Member
It occurred to me that the title was a little misleading for any who aren't familiar with the back story...so I edited the intro text to be worded a bit better.

pertinux

Basic Member
If you start at the beginning of the first post and scroll really quickly, you can create a Flipbook effect and watch Mistwalker cut the food. :D

Sometimes I get caught up in the minutiae of the various knives' specs and relative sizes and attributes-- happily so-- but then a picture comes along that sits me back, riveting my attention anew to the beauty of a well-designed tool, in toto.

Like this one, for example:

Just, what a beautiful knife!

Thanks.

~ P.

B Griffin

Gold Member
If you start at the beginning of the first post and scroll really quickly, you can create a Flipbook effect and watch Mistwalker cut the food. :D

Sometimes I get caught up in the minutiae of the various knives' specs and relative sizes and attributes-- happily so-- but then a picture comes along that sits me back, riveting my attention anew to the beauty of a well-designed tool, in toto.

Like this one, for example:

Just, what a beautiful knife!

Thanks.

~ P.

Lol, yeah...I probably did get a little heavy-handed with the photos, but I was trying to make sure I had the shots to illustrate the the thoughts expressed in the coming review, and sadly I still need a couple of shots for that part...but I'll thin some of these out for that.

To me the Bushfinger is an exceptionally well designed tool. Nearly as much at home on a cutting board as in the woods. I really like the spalting on this one, and the DIW. It's beautiful and classy, and then the twist of lime just seals the deal on the whole package for me. It just really spoke to me, and I am extremely happy with it.

DSC_8883croppedB.jpg

Native XF ad, Below bottom BC