Busse and extreme cold?

Anybody use a Busse knife in extreme cold?
(Cliff) Does Infi ever get brittle at let's say -30 F in a chopping situation?

Thought this might be a good topic.
Things act funny in the cold, but I'm guessing Busse knives would fair well.

See you on the trail.

------------------
"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, I won't be laid a hand on,
I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them.

Cliff :

Anybody use a Busse knife in extreme cold?

Yes.

Does Infi ever get brittle at let's say -30 F in a chopping situation?

It will lose some ductility and impact toughness as the temperature drops as all steels will, but brittle is a relative term. INFI is far more durable at low temperatures than many blades are at room temperatures.

I would estimate now that the number of chops I (and others) have done with my Battle Mistress is past the quarter million mark. Significantly more than half of that would be in negative temperatures as I am far more likely to be active then.

No significant problems as of yet :

http://www.physics.mun.ca/~sstamp/images/bm-side.jpg

-Cliff

Take this for what it is worth...

A guy came into the knife shop where I was working a year ago, and asked if there was anyone making knives out of "that new steel that Busse is using"?

He revealed to me that he had been present at some sort of military test up in Alaska where they had subjected a Battle Mistress to torture testing and that even at very low tempatures, it had done well, in fact every other knife was broke.

His story left something to be desired in the way of specificity about the tests and blades. But.... oh well.

------------------
Thank you,
Marion David Poff aka Eye, Cd'A ID, USA mdpoff@hotmail.com

Review of the World Survival Institute, Chris Janowsky survival knife, the Ranger.

Talonite Resource Page, nearly exhaustive!!

Fire Page, metal match sources and index of information.

"Many are blinded by name and reputation, few see the truth" Lao Tzu

Back