Busse dual-grind...

Leo

Howdy!

Please tell me if I understand this correctly: The "Busse Grind" is asymetrical to make sharpening easier for the user?
Also, do I remember correctly that INFI is tempered to a softer RCH (<58RC), but makes up what it lacks in edge-hardness with very abrasion-resistant carbides?

Thanks!

Leo

Leo:

The "Busse Grind" is asymetrical to make sharpening easier for the user?

I thought that was hype when I first read it. I could easily see where it would be stronger as the convex part puts more metal there but as for sharpening a double v ground bevel would be easier, right? Well not exactly. Busse Combat recommends that when honing to use a ceramic rod on the flat side stroking away from the edge. Now you can do this on a double v-ground edge as well but it tends to make a burr which you have to grind off. What happens on the dual ground Busse's is that the convex part of the bevel actually resists the burr forming stronger so there is a greater chance you don't have to work on the convex side. The profile looks like this by the way :

busse.jpg

INFI is tempered to a softer RCH (<58RC), but makes up what it lacks in edge-hardness with very abrasion-resistant carbides?

The INFI line is harder, I think the Battle Mistress is spec'ed at 60-62 RC. The Basics are lower about 58 RC.

-Cliff

[This message has been edited by Cliff Stamp (edited 02-28-2000).]

Cliff's response here is excellent.

------------------
Andy Prisco, Manager
Sharper Instinct, LLC
Phone: 1-201-493-2469
Orders-Toll Free: 1-877-557-5200
Fax: 1-201-493-2039
Visa & Mastercard Accepted

Authorized Dealers:
Busse Combat Knives and Big East Traditional Bows

Professional Shooting Svcs: Corporate Training and Stress Mgmt.

Busse Combat Variant Temp. HQ http://home.earthlink.net/~gregrnamin/andy/sharper.htm

Sharper Instinct Website www.sharperinstinct.com

Back