1. BladeForums has ZERO TOLERANCE for extremism or calls of violence. We request your assistance dealing with this as we do not want to see the site shut down due to violent threats. Please see this thread here in Tech Support: https://www.bladeforums.com/threads/bladeforums-has-a-zero-tolerance-policy-towards-threats-of-violence-extremism-be-warned.1769537/

Busse FFBM vs Himalayan Imports 16.5" AK Chopping Video.

Discussion in 'Himalayan Imports' started by Ankerson, Feb 15, 2010.

1. Ankerson

Ankerson Knife and Computer Geek Gold Member

Nov 2, 2002
    The AK is lighter than the FFBM by about 8 ounces. I had to take off my glove using the AK because the handle is just a little small for me to grip with gloves on. Performance are very good for the FFBM and AK. This was more fair due to the FFBM and AK being about the same length, 16" for the FFBM to 16.5" for the AK.

[youtube]<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/erc7f_CBc_8&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/erc7f_CBc_8&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>[/youtube]

18" AK, 16.5" Chiruwa AK and FFBM
    [​IMG]

2. alexs

alexs

Nov 26, 2009
    Thank you for this video, and the first one too with the 18" AK. It seemed that that the log was rotting a little from the moisture though, is it?

I would (and I did) get a Sher 16.5 CAK because of the look and custom quality but the Busse is a monster too. I think the moral of the story is, if you need to chop a log that thick, get a SCAK of 20"+ and 48+ oz... or an axe, I guess, but where is the fun in that?

The second knife in any comparison (whatever it is) will always be harder to chop with because of the exhaustion. I would chop some, then rest, then compare another knife a few minutes later after the mitochondria get a chance to replenish ATP. But that would cut up the video and need editing later.

Thanks again,
    Alex

3. Ankerson

Nov 2, 2002

Yes it's getting pretty old, been there for alittle while, that's one of the reasons I am using it as knife testing media. It's kinda soft in the middle, but extremely hard for the 1st few inches in depending on were I am chopping it.

I plan on making a part 1 and part 2 on the next one parly because I will be chopping all the way through and like you said I need a few minutes to rest. Also I don't like for my videos to go over 5 mins max.

4. alexs

alexs

Nov 26, 2009
    If "Nutnfancy" can get away with reviewing a little folding knife for hours on end and get the following he has, I think Kukri lovers will be happy to see their beloved AK's and other HI products get similar exposure for 5 minutes or longer. "Video" is the new "pictures" and this forum only needs more of it.

Thank you so much for your work, let's hope it catches on and people with the rare kukris show us how they work. I would love to see a video of a falcata in action, or a Chitlangi Bowie, or any Bowie for that matter, or a gelbu special. There is no better advertising than that for H.I.

Alex

Last edited: Feb 17, 2010
  5. Ankerson

Nov 2, 2002
    Thanks Man. :)

6. C.S. Graves

C.S. Graves

Jun 13, 2006
    Hmm, I am surprised to learn that the CAK was actually lighter than the FFBM, and pleased to hear that it performed more or less equally well. :thumbup:

Edit: I also noticed a few certain AK Bowie videos in the "related videos" section... :D

Last edited: Feb 16, 2010
  7. Ankerson

Nov 2, 2002
    Yeah it did pretty well even though the handle is too small for me. :eek:

8. b.c.molin

b.c.molin

Nov 28, 2008
    Thanks for posting and looking forward to more video's of such excellent sound and visual quality. :thumbup:

9. Ankerson

Nov 2, 2002
    This is what I am going to compare to the 18" AK next. ;)

11 1/2" Blade
    .25" Thick
    32 Ounces
    17 1/2" OAL

Busse NMFBM
    [​IMG]

10. C.S. Graves

C.S. Graves

Jun 13, 2006
    It might not be possible, but if you had an HI specimen as close to 32 oz as you could get, you could get an idea of comparative "chopping efficiency per ounce" as it were. What does the 18" AK weigh again? From the description in the other vs. FFBM post, sounds like it might still be heavier than this other Busse too. :eek:

11. Ankerson

Nov 2, 2002
    It feels like it's between 2 1/2 and 3 pounds to me, noticeably heavier than the Busses.