Busses' in cold weather.

I recently acquired a Natural Outlaw and plan to use it quite often for any and all outdoor activities.
I do plan to hit Mt Ranier this year and was wondering how the elements affect Infi.
Specifically moisture and cold.
Any user experience would be most appreciated.
Also looking for comparisons to other outdoor users, specifically Chris Reeve.
Not looking for a toughness comparison, just weather and corrosion comparison.
TIA,

Roy

HJK

The SH II worked well for me in Patagonia and northern Greenland. I recently acquired an NO for my main heavy user on northern kayaking and canoeing trips. The exposed sides of the tang can get cold, no question. Infi will rust but nothing terrible - it actually rubs off. The performance isn't affected, at least not in arctic non-winter weather, [ I haven't tried an arctic winter with a Busse yet]. Still, if rust is a concern, as in salt water, I rely on talonite more.

[This message has been edited by HJK (edited 04-02-2001).]

:
You might want to read some of Cliff Stamp's tests on the Busse line.
Cliff lives in Newfoundland where it stays pretty cold the year around.
It seems I recall reading about some tests Cliff done at -30º and the Busse line came out fine.
Rust as well has been addressed by Cliff and it doesn't seem to be a problem even in salt water conditions.
I don't have Cliff's addies, but a search on this forum will tur up scads of info for you and links to his test's.
HTH.
------------------
>>>>---Yvsa-G@WebTV.net---->®

"VEGETARIAN".............
Indin word for lousy hunter.

[This message has been edited by Yvsa (edited 04-02-2001).]

Well, I don't have a Busse at the moment, but I do have some opionions based upon what I've read and learned.

Firstly, the exposed tang should get quite cold (though not as cold as if it were bare steel, with no coating). Taping the handle with a thickish tape or with tennis racquet grip should work well. I remember a post done on a BA that someone wrapped with tennis racquet grip; with good results.

As far as Busse vs CR Knives goes, I'm pretty sure that INFI is substantially more rust-resistant than A2. That's about all I know on the subject.

Hope that helps!

Back