Butt Cap

Hello, Im new to the site and new to knives, I was wondering were I can buy butt caps and how to put them on your knife

Last edited by a moderator:
Welcome to Shop Talk.
Filling out your profile might help us help you, as knowing things about you and where you live aid in getting a better answer.

Butt CAPS, and other fittings are sold by nearly all knife suppliers. Jantz, Texas Knife Supply, USA Knifemakers, etc.

Just take an appropriately sized piece of cloth, tie it around your waist so that it hangs down over your derriere, and up, up, and away! :D

Just take an appropriately sized piece of cloth, tie it around your waist so that it hangs down over your derriere, and up, up, and away! :D

James, I'm glad you said it and not me:D

purelife, what your looking for is called a pommel, most all the knife supply sites have them. There are many ways to attach them, tap the pommel to fit a threaded tang,drill through and peen the tang over, drill and use a nut.
Just depends on the knife and style of tang you have.

Stan

Okay, since you started it...lol I've always wanted a butt cape, but I was afraid it'd make my butt look big ;)

Okay, seriously, Stan pointed out, they're called Pommels and you can find them at any knife supply place or you can make your own.

I tried this but my wiener keeps getting caught in the string. How to fix please?!?

(I'm sorry if that was inappropriate but my filter is broken...)

I hope not.

Purelife568, sometimes we get carried away with humor here. Please forgive us.
This is not aimed at you because you are new. I get ribbed for typos all the time.

Hey, I spent six years getting that degree in English. I need to do *something* with it!

As far as mounting the butt cap, there are several methods.
1) The tang can stick through a hole in the butt cap and be peened on it to lock everything tight. This is the standard method on Scandinavian knives as well as the old stacked leather handle military knives.
2) The butt cap can be threaded and screwed onto the tang ( which is also threaded).
3) The butt cap can have a threaded insert brazed onto the back side, which is screwed onto the tang.
4) The threaded tang sticks through a hole in the cap, and a nut is screwed down tight. This is the usual method for a take-down knife and big Bowies. The nut is often made fancy to look like an acorn or similar thing.

Back