Butt-Ugly first knives

Ok you guys ask for it don't say I didn't warn you. Everyones first knife seemed to have flow and good lines. The background I chose has better flow than this knife.
It was my first cica 1990 and I still use it in the shop to open boxes( when I can find it). As stated earlyer the blade is an old broken machette blade, I heated it red hot with a tiger tourch. Then ground it to profile with a 6 inch bench grinder and drilled holes with a hand drill. Then many hours of filing and sanding produced a broken mirror like finish. Then I heated it red hot with the old tiger tourch again and dunked it in a pail of water. Then had to start all over with the sand paper. At this point it sat in the garage for 4 months until the wife told me to finish it or chuck it, she strongly sugjested chucking it. The handle is two peices of oak window frame inleted glued and pined. The funniest thing about this knife is that the handle pins(brass screws)are attached to the tang on the inside by brass bolts because I didn't know how else they would stay in place.(dduuu) The pin hole were drilled oversized and the pines were carfully set (mashed) into place. I still have nightmares about it!!! So without further delay!!!!
View

looks a little neotrible

------------------
Robert
Flat Land Knife Works
rdblad@telusplanet.net
http://members.tripod.com/knifeworks/index.html

[This message has been edited by R Dockrell (edited 07-04-2000).]

[This message has been edited by R Dockrell (edited 07-04-2000).]

HA!!! You guys are artists...if I can find the monstrosity that was my first attempt at (dare I call it one?) a knife, you will all die a horrible death - most likely from lack of oxygen as you would be laughing SOOO hard that you wouldn't be able to breath!

I had no idea whatsoever as to what I was doing. It was made out of a peice of scrap steel from a junk yard (chosen because it was about the size I wanted) that was 3/8" thicka and about 12" long. I ground an "edge" using my dad's bench grinder and "heat treated" (haaa haa haa) it in fire I built in the garden. Heck I have no idea if the steel has any amount of carbon in it! The handle slabs in oak (and they are, slabs) were attached with 3/8" stainless bolts. I cringe just thinking aobut what I've done.

Anyway, this big POS weighs in at about 3 lbs and I used to keep it in the back of the truck and use for a pry bar or wedge...it really is a heavy, ugly hunk o junk.

Neat thread. You guys really are artist though.

Darren

Hey Some real nice looking knives here for first ones.
Mine was a Bali.. well kinda..
Then then one that started as a bowie that looked like a bird and trout when I was done with it.. PICS NO WAY.....

------------------
Web Site At www.darrelralph.com

[This message has been edited by Darrel Ralph (edited 07-09-2000).]

As soon as I can obtain a method for digitizing an image of the 1st knife, I will happily forward it to this forum.

I used to think that if I produced a knife the first time that had 'perfection' written all over it I would have a future as a 'maker'. Never have I been so wrong! If I don't pay my dues I won't learn and if I can't learn I don't perfect my skill...etc.

All the Best

Dileas Gu Brath

See what bladeforums has done to help all you new folks!! I tell ya, back in the day it was pert near impossible for a new maker to even buy a book to learn how to grind a blade and.. .ummmm.. aweeee, you know what I mean! You guys are already producing some outstanding blades. I can't wait to see what you're making in 5 years!!Take care and keep at it~! Michael

------------------
Always think of your fellow knife makers as partners in the search for the perfect blade, not as people trying to compete with you and your work!http://www.nebsnow.com/L6steel
Buzzards gotta eat, same as worms!!!

Back