Butter knife Review

I'm sure everyone remembers the monumentally ugly butter knife a couple of months ago. I played with it for a day or two until someone begged it away from me.

I spoke to him the other day and he has used it during Deer season and to date has used it on the Deer he killed and a friends Deer.

In short he loves it and the friend wants one.

They even used it to field dress the deer and are happy with that operation. I'm not quite sure I'm sold on it as a field dressing knife but......
The real fun was in the skinning. They both said the same thing. That stupid thing skins better than any knife I have!!

They especially liked the semi rounded point and the fact that in tight areas, all they had to do was push it in and slide it along the flesh,

OK Builders, there you have it. Pretty up the design and see what your customers think.

BTW.....MY new design which is a copy of one Rodger had been making with a fatter blade and a blunted point, is a better version of the butter knife IMHO. I talked to my two guys about trying a copy of it (I'm not giving mine up for anything) but both are sold on the butter knife.

One other thing they both liked was "The High tech handle" (Truck bed liner). They liked the secure grip it gave and the ease of cleanup!

He didn't fall out of his stand either (Yet). It would be nice if he would give it a full field test. :D

That sounds great. Hopefully you'll get a full field test from them. Duraliner handles, I guess the name says it all :D They line the tang and they're durable :D
Scott

That's great, Peter. Makes me think of a question I've been mulling over...

How would it work as a skinner for a first-timer? My sister is a weaver and also does various pieces in horsehair or rawhide. This winter she'll have her first shot at helping actually get the hide off a cow and she's wondering about which knife she should have. As far as I know, she only needs the tool to be a good skinner; it doesn't have to serve more purposes than that. I'm not a hunter and the last thing I skinned was a muskrat when I was 12 or 13. I barely remember that process, so I'm not sure what to tell her. What do you think?

I think it would be fine for a beginner as long as she remembers that the nose is a cutting edge also. If I were making one for a beginner I think I would chisel grind it. I really hate that grind but in this case she could keep tension on the skin with her left hand while holding the blade flat against the backside of the hide with her right.

peter nap said:
If I were making one for a beginner I think I would chisel grind it. I really hate that grind but in this case she could keep tension on the skin with her left hand while holding the blade flat against the backside of the hide with her right.

Wow. That is completely the right answer. I'm still better at right-handed chisel grinds than anything else. You mind if I take a crack at it?

Thanks for the advice.

-Allin Kahrl

Back