1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

2. Click here to enter the drawing for your chance to win a Ka-Bar Becker BK5 Magnum Camp , Bladeforums.com swag or memberships!
    Be sure to read the rules before entering, then help us decide next week's giveaway by hitting the poll in that thread! Entries close at midnight, Saturday July 27!

Once the entries close, we'll live stream the drawing on Sunday, July 28 at 5PM Eastern. Tune in to our YouTube channel TheRealBladeForums for a chance to win bonus prizes!

Questions? Comments? Post in the discussion thread here
  3. Week 29 drawing for the BladeForums.com 20th Anniversary Year of Giveaways live stream going on from 5-6PM eastern!!
    Tune in to our YouTube Channel, http://www.youtube.com/TheRealBladeforums, we'll be drawing winners for BladeForums.com merchandise & the grand prize:
    a Ron Flaherty Folder , along with BladeForums branded gear!

Additional prize(s) will be awarded to people in the livestream chat, so watch for your chance to win bonus prize(s)

Button studs

Discussion in 'Sheaths & Such' started by camaroless, Feb 18, 2019.

1. camaroless

camaroless

Feb 8, 2015
    does anyone use button studs ? I’m not sure what size would be correct for 8-9 oz leather and what size hole to use. I tried a few and it was a disaster ! Holes are either too big or too small or end up too loose and not holding. Really dont want to use snaps. Any help is good help !

John

2. knifeleather

knifeleather Sheathmaker Extraordinaire

Jul 14, 2012
    I use the studs from Springfield Leather (5/16 stud) with a 1/4 hole, works great! My retention straps are about 5oz

camaroless likes this.
  3. Horsewright

Horsewright KnifeMaker / Craftsman / Service Provider Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Oct 4, 2011
    I use both from Weaver and Springfield. I prefer the screw in ones over the rivets. 1/4" holes and here's a cool little trick. For the slot for the hole use a1/2" wood chisel. Very consistent.

camaroless likes this.
  4. camaroless

camaroless

Feb 8, 2015
    Dave that chisel idea is cool . No more knife slip and screwin up the slot. I like the screws also but the buttons i have are a weird size but they do ok. I found that if you lightly feed a 3/8 center cut end mill about a 1/16” or slightly deeper in the screw side of the leather it will allow the screw to be below the surface then i cut a thin sliver off of a 3/8” plug from a punch and glue it to the screw head. Almost invisible and no marring to the knife. Ill order some buttons as you mentioned.
    Thanks

John

5. Horsewright

Horsewright KnifeMaker / Craftsman / Service Provider Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Oct 4, 2011
    Remember the Locktite too!

duramax and camaroless like this.
  6. camaroless

camaroless

Feb 8, 2015
    Yeah loctite or super glue. Its hard to believe it but they do come loose.

7. Nyckname

Nyckname

Oct 10, 2018
    You want to get the proper slotted punch for the hole,

[​IMG]

Eric Smith and camaroless like this.