buy a knife for warranty?

shootist16

knife law moderator
I am curious as to how much a companies warranty affects your purchase decisions?

The maker's warranty signifies exactly how much they will stand behind their product to my way of thinking. The better the warranty, the more confident the maker is and therefore I am generally, about performance.

Zilch! I'm too new to knives to give you any first hand insight, but I think that generally warranties on any product (short of defective out of the box) are pretty meaningless.

I'm in the Building Materials Business and recommend that consumers purchase a product they like, especially if aesthetics are involved, like roofing, bricks, windows, etc as the manufacturers leave themselves too many opt outs to make the warranty have much value.

My guess, with knives, as with most products, stick with the reputable manufacturers and forget about the warranty.

It matters a bit to me. I have been so impressed with SpyderCo and Kershaw that I tell everyone about their great customer service. Cold Steel has come through for me on some stuff too. I think most of the 'reputable' companies stand behind what they sell. Buck, Ka-Bar, Gerber have all got pretty good reps too. Fortunately I haven't had to deal with warranty issues much at all though.

I find it a plus if a knife I purchase has a good warranty, but I would most likely purchase a knife I was interested in regardless of the warranty.

Tom

Doesn't matter at all to me. I buy knives to cut with, not chop, bust concrete, du pullups on, etc.

If I'm looking for an indestructable knife, I will look at warrenty. If the maker is confident in their knife, like SRKW or Busse, they will be willing to back it no matter what.

On the other hand, if I want a lean mean slicer, It doesnt need a unconditional warranty because it will be used for light cutting work.

For me warranty service is a Major factor in future purchases of a particular brand. If legitimate problems are handled no hassle, I'm a repeat buyer. Some Manufacturers have "Above and Beyond " service where they fix things that are not necessarily covered. We all have those stories.

Back