Buyer Beware-smkw schrade walden muskrat

Buyer Beware-smkw schrade walden yellow delrin handled muskrat

The knife is made by camillus, and it is "junk".

I bought four examples and all four were of poor quality.

The tube packgaging was indeed old schrade walden, but the carboard insert of course was new and printed for taylor, it also acknowledges camillus' manufacture of these knives.

Now, on to the knives.

The spey blade when open, causes the backspring to be sitting much too high, almost 2/32's above the blade and other backspring. The bolsters are not ground well (crooked) and they do not line up with the liners (ill-fitted, shaped, etc.). The shields do not fit too well and have spaces between where they are inserted (and the handles, this varied some). This was on all four. The backsprings had spaces between each other, the liners, bolsters, etc. This varied though on all. On one of them the handles did not fit at all and there was a large space between one handle and the bolster on the pile side. All in all they are poor quality, they are very reminiscent of camillus' latest venture on the remington bullet knife repros with delrin handles (with new madison, nc etch) sold at smoky, except the quality is even worse.

All four of these will be making a trip back to smoky. It is disappointing, but typical taylor quality (even if camillus did make them).

Actually, it's also typical camillus quality. They make a lot of different lines, but even in their higher end products, the knife to knife variability in fit and finish does not give one confidence to buy any camillus sight unseen.

Given that Taylor uses an American flag on the boxes of Chinese-made knives, I wouldn't expect any kind of integrity or quality products from them.

I'd take my business elsewhere even if they were making good products.

Camillus does not have a consistent level of quality in their knives. I don't know if depends on the day of the week, the price range, or the manufacturing facility. I've definitely gotten some real stinkers from them lately, as well as some top-notch products.

-Bob

Bob W said:
Camillus does not have a consistent level of quality in their knives. I don't know if depends on the day of the week, the price range, or the manufacturing facility. I've definitely gotten some real stinkers from them lately, as well as some top-notch products.

-Bob

It depends more on who is paying the bills. If the customer wants, and PAYS for, quality it will be there.

If they are just paying for a commodity then that is what they will get.

pyrguy said:
It depends more on who is paying the bills. If the customer wants, and PAYS for, quality it will be there.

If they are just paying for a commodity then that is what they will get.

This is true. I'm wondering if the new "Schrades" are priced differently from the old ones.

Thanks for the update Rev :cool: , and yet another reason to buy knives that are at least 50 years old :eek: , the quality was typically better back then :D .

Back