buying an AR..

Ill soon be buying an AR. Ive seen these discussions on the 'adhesive debate' and to my understanding the adhesive holds the bronze 'D' washer in place so it does not rotate...? I would like to know exactly what it effects if/when it comes loose, as well as how many people have actually had a problem with it.

I am buying an AR either way because I just love the looks of the knife, and they seem to hold resale value very well.

Thanks for any info in advance.

Hey Eric, good to see you here! I hope you're enjoying those knives I sold you.

Regarding potential problems from the 3M structural adhesive used on AR/GBs, these have been overblown, to say the least. There have been very few AR/GBs that have had the adhesive break down. IMHO, it's a non-issue.

Regarding what happens if it comes loose, on October 29, 2002, Mick wrote, "Note that if your D shaped bearing pivots, you can push the lock bar past it to the blade and in doing so will not only lock the blade, but bend down an ear of the bearing causing it to no longer pivot." This does NOT render the knife inoperative.

Regarding the reasons for the adhesive, Mick &/or Duane can answer that better than anybody else. They designed them. AR/GBs are as near to being indestructible as any folder made. I trust my AR more than ANY folder I've ever seen or heard of.

Hey Lynn! I stop by here every now and then (mostly to look at Strider pics :D ).

The sebbie is now my one and only EDC, I love the knife and cant thank you enough.

The more I look at the AR/GB the more I NEED one. Well I guess if Mr. Little says he trusts it that much it must be ok ;)

My AR has been subjected to some heay use. I pry, gut deer and birds, I brought her in the ocean on more than one occassion. Nothing phases this piece. It's the knife i can depend on in any situation. I highly recommend all the Strider line of knives. I have an HT, MFS, Dwyer AL and the AR.
There's a pic attatched of the AR. I beat her regularly and she doesn't mind a bit. Good luck. ec

Attachments

• strar0108a.jpg
    strar0108a.jpg
    28.2 KB · Views: 366
I dont think you need worry about the AR's. They are pretty straight forward and tough.

In fact the only thing I have found that could be a negative about the knife is how the public views it if they see it!

I screwed up one day and since my pocket knife was sitting on my desk and not in my pocket (duh), I whipped out my AR to open an envelope at the post office.

You guessed it. I heard a scream and a woman pointing to me yelling "he has a sword!"

I very nearly went to jail. Seems the Post office is a bit sensitive to 'swords' !

The wife is mandating it be sold away. I like sleeping with her, so .......

a223cat, thanks for the nice (and funny) story.

Too bad one or the other had to go. It's difficult these days to find a good knife...er, I mean wife. ;)

I got that when I pulled out a MOD CQC MkII (the SMALL one) at work.

Wifey didn't like that one either.

But she approves of the SnG. ;)

-j

My AR is the best working folder I own, hands down. I have XL hands, 4" across the palm. I know there are guys out there with bigger hands.
The AR fits like a glove. I have had my AR back to Strider for a couple minor adjustments. The knife came back in better shape than When it was new:cool:
imo, you can't go wrong with a Strider AR. And if you buy one and don't like it, E-mail me--I'll take it off your hands:)

Barry H

Back