Buying an Edge Pro

I am thinking about purchasing an Edge pro. I feel like it will probably be a good way for me to expand my sharpening capabilities. I like to have a nice crisp secondary bevel that I can't always achieve with the paper wheels.

What is recommended to buy with the sharpener? I know there are different 'kits' and wondering if some stones are not used frequently or at all? Are there certain stones I should get doubles of? I see they now have a diamond stone. He does not seem to recommend it and wondering if it is worth the money.

How long do the polishing tapes last? Should I go ahead and order a couple packs of the various grits?

Just trying to figure out what all to get so that I can have it and not worry about needing something and having to order it and pay additional shipping. I would like to get myself taken care of for a long while in one shot.

Oh and I am thinking of the Apex model. Is this good enough? Is the pro worth paying almost twice as much for? If it is I would hold off and save up but I can't see it being twice as good. I mainly just sharpen for myself and a few friends and family. Although I have thought about trying to start sharpening peoples kitchen knives for a little extra cash.

Any suggestions? And does anyone know the best or cheapest place to buy one?

Thanks!

Ryan

It's a great sharpening system. Just buy the whole Apex kit. The diamond stones cut faster than the AlOx stones when it comes to really hard steels, and don't require water. I later got some ceramic stones custom-cut for my EdgePro, but that's a more expensive option. You can also mount DMT 6x2 benchstones onto the EdgePro but it'll be a bit top heavy.

I beleive the price is the same everywhere.

You can also now get Shapton stones mounted on blanks for it. It is a good system for those not big on freehanding. I got great results with it but prefer my freehanding for better edges. I guess I'm just more used to freehanding, as you would think the Edge Pro would give you better results, but I just couldn't get used to positioning the knife consistently on the blade table in the short time I borrowed the Edge Pro.

Mike

I have heard of people recommending buying multiples of stones. I can't search and have not been able to find those posts so can someone make a recommendation on what to buy extra of?

Thanks

Greetings FlaMtnBkr: I have the Edgepro #4 kit. The EdgePro cut my re-profiling time by about 80 percent on several S30v blades. IMHO, I recommend you order at least one additional 120 grit stone and an additional blank mounting plate or two. You can use the blanks if you wish to tack on you own film or strop leather strip or ceramic stones or whatever you prefer. OldDude1

Ryan,

I sold EPs for a couple of years. Probably the most requested extra stone, or the one that needed replacing the soonest was the 120. 2nd runner up was the 220. It mostly depends on what you'll be sharpening... and if you have a lot of reprofiling to do. Beyond the 220 the stones will last quite a while.

The tapes are fun to play with... you'll probably cut a couple 'till you get used to them... after that you can get them to last for several knives. But with his new 1000 stone... there's not as much need for the tapes. The 1K stone will leave a pretty mirrored finish. But the tapes can bring out a bit of extra zing in some blades.

I wouldn't consider less than the EP-3 kit. When I first started selling them, I sold all versions. Without fail, everyone I sold the 2 stone kits to... within a week would be calling asking for the other stones. Get the EP-4 kit if you want to play with the polish tapes. (They are fun). I wouldn't recommend buying extra tapes until you see if you like them. I would recommend 1 extra 120 stone (mounted), and maybe a 220 if you think you'll have a lot of reprofiling to do. (Get the extra ones mounted... that way you'll have one extra ready to go if you're in the middle of a sharpening job. After that you can get the unmounted ones if you want to glue them yourself). I've used the diamond stones... but not enough to comment about them. The Apex and Pro will give the same results... the Apex should suffice unless you plan on doing a lot of knives. You might also consider his "leveling kit" if you don't have a way to flatten the stones. (I used a DMT plate.) That's my .02.

cbw

Hey, I don't mean to go off topic. Cotdt I live in SOCAL too. Could you please tell me where you got your custom cut ceramic stones. I think I would like to get some. Thanks in advance.:)

Hey, I don't mean to go off topic. Cotdt I live in SOCAL too. Could you please tell me where you got your custom cut ceramic stones. I think I would like to get some. Thanks in advance.:)

Send me an email and I'll hook you up.

www.edgeproinc.com

Get any of the basic kits, and add accessories as you need them.

With a 120,220,320 and 600 grit stone, you're set for 90 percent of sharpening.

Of course, you just might get a little fanatical about it, like most EP users,:p and end up with everything, but that's another story for another day. :D

Gunmike, have you used the the custom cut ceramic stones??? And if they worked out well for you how about a review????

I lke the Edge-Pro stones, but like everyone else, I'm always open to a better idea.

Edge Pro is amazing, it's like flying in a C-5 after flying in an Cessna... smooth. poor analogy I'm sure.

I can tell you for a fact that I've gotten knives to hair topping sharp... so at hair whittling sharp.

the angle control is amazing, I now have a strange new love for full flat grinds.

If you want to save some money, you could just buy the Edge Pro stones w/o the sharpening system, and sharpen freehand using those little stones. This is much cheaper than a full set of benchstones. Conversely, if you have the money, you can buy the Edge Pro system w/o the stones, and get custom-cut ceramic stones mounted onto EdgePro blanks.

who did you guys get your systems from? i've wanted one for awhile now but just recently considering it. can you make a full flat grind with the edge pro? looking at how it works it seems like you can, but if any one has done this can you share your results? it will probably affect my decision.

nick

who did you guys get your systems from? i've wanted one for awhile now but just recently considering it. can you make a full flat grind with the edge pro? looking at how it works it seems like you can, but if any one has done this can you share your results? it will probably affect my decision.

nick

The edge would be too thin in a full flat grind, I don't know of any knife that uses it except wedge razors. Do you mean a V grind?

Post #9 gives the link to a place where you can get it.

If you want to save some money, you could just buy the Edge Pro stones w/o the sharpening system, and sharpen freehand using those little stones. This is much cheaper than a full set of benchstones. Conversely, if you have the money, you can buy the Edge Pro system w/o the stones, and get custom-cut ceramic stones mounted onto EdgePro blanks.

Where do you get the custom ceramic stones and how costly are they? Any chance there is a DMT diamond 'stone' that could be made to fit on a blank?

The only thing I am worried about with the edge pro is flattening the stones. I would guess you have to have something that is very flat and possibly costly?

Where do you get the custom ceramic stones and how costly are they? Any chance there is a DMT diamond 'stone' that could be made to fit on a blank?

The only thing I am worried about with the edge pro is flattening the stones. I would guess you have to have something that is very flat and possibly costly?

Sure, you can cut the DMT diamond stones to size (6"x1"x1/8")and glue them onto an EdgePro blade blank. They already do offer diamond stones for coarse ("fine") and medium ("super fine") grit. Send me an email and I can give you the link to the person cutting the ceramic stones. Certain companies selling Arkansas oilstones offer to custom-cut as well.

EdgePro stones don't really need to be flat as you have lateral movement. I flatten mine anyway to clean them, but if the stones were round they would work the same way. There are triangular stones available for sharpening serrations.

Back