Buying first Sebenza 21 for EDC. Large or Small?

My smalls are equally as solid as my larges if the bank vault feel is what you like. Both are like bank vaults.

It's a tough choosing between the two for sure, my first was a small with I carried for a number of years. Now that I have both I probably use the large more often but the the small is a close second and keep in mind it's more comfortable for casual/weekend carry.

Kind of a toss up for me I guess.

I love my large Sebenzas and probably would carry them more often if I didn't carry them in their pouches. As a matter of fact I carry all of my CRK's in pouches. Anyway, I would carry the larges if I wasn't terrified to clip them to my pockets. I am super super super paranoid in losing my knife that way. At least I know if I put them in their pouch I will not lose them since they layat the bottom of my pocket.
I did lose a mammoth Mnandi once that was in the small pouch in my pocket. The Mnandi slid right out of the pouch as I sat down. I really wish CRK would make an appropriate pouch for Mnandi. Ridiculous that I spend that much damn money on such a little knife to get screwed on the pouch.

I say small as well, if you are looking for something to EDC often you cant beat the size of this knife, it is not too small for larger tasks yet it is not so large that it takes up your pocket either.

I have both larges and smalls, and the small classic was my first CRK.

I own multiple examples of both Sebenza sizes, and have a strong preference for the Large. Which one is right for someone depends on how they carry it, and where on their body they carry it. I carry in a rear pocket, and the Large has worked well for that style of carry for over ten years. If I were to carry in a front pocket, I am sure that the Small would be better.

I still own (and still buy) Small Sebenzas mainly to have parity with my Large ones. (I am waiting for TNK to start selling the Small Tanto Sebenzas, which should theoretically happen soon.)

If I were were forced to whittle my collection of Sebenzas down to only one, the one that remains would be the Large Insingo, and I write this with no hesitation. It is everything that I want in a folding knife. If it were two, the backup would be either a second Large Insingo (which I would need to buy) or my Large Sebenza 21 with Black Canvas Micarta inlays. Both have silver hardware (standard on the Large Sebenza 21 with Black Canvas Micarta inlays) and double thumb lugs.

when i said bank vault sliding on glass i wasn't referring to its lock up but rather its smoothness and resistance/hydraulic feeling... both small ad large lock up like a vault!!

I vote large as well. If I were to buy another small it would definitely be an inlaid version of some sort, just a little better grip with the inlays on the small.

The video clip that So-Lo attached is very helpful since I have 2 Delicas and have handled an Endura (almost bought the FFG)

Apparent in the video that the Large Sebenza is shorter overall which is a plus. I have a new Mini-dejavoo which is great feeling knife but I wish the handle were a wee bit shorter.

I own the small and have no intentions of going to the large. I am just partial to smaller blades...that being said it is really a matter of preference. Both knives are excellent and will handle anything you will encounter for edc. If i were in your shoes and might want a large here is what I would do....I would buy the small...hang on to it for a while and use it and see what you think...if you feel it is just not enough, sell it and get a large. The resale value is so high that you won't be losing much money in the process if you decide you would like a large instead. just my 2 cents....good luck! either way you will be happy.

I guess I'm part of the minority here also but I greatly prefer the small. For EDC tasks I find the knife to be a perfect blend of cutting edge, handle comfort, pocketablilty and non threatening looks. I have medium sized hands and the small 21 fits my mitts just about perfectly. I recently handled a forum members large and I have other knives of with its same dimensions and, for me, its just too large to carry around town. However I do live on acreage in the Pacific Northwest so if I need a larger, or stouter knife than my small classic I grab a fixed blade.

Since you said that the mini griptilian fits your hand well I really think that you'll be much better off with a small. If you think that the full size griptilian is a little large for EDC than you'll think the large seb is way to big IMO. It only has about a .3" longer blade length but, to me, that extra length is a lot bigger in real life than it looks on paper. I also might recommend getting an inlayed sebenza. I own a small classic micarta and the inlays round off the handle a bit so that it makes it feel a bit better in hand IMO. I think that the inlays also make the small feel a touch bigger than a standard. Good luck and post pics when you get it!

I tend to agree. The small can do most or perhaps all of the cutting tasks the large will perform, but the large cannot get smaller. If your EDC profile might benefit from the smaller size at some times, the small is worth giving serious thought. It all depends on what you do and what you need, of course.

A large Sebenza is way too bug for the pocket I think, unless you are doing some kind of outdoorsy/construction job where you need a big knife and carry a lot of tools. The small seb is more than enough for any EDC tasks. Also, while I like the large Sebenza, for a bigger folder, I think I prefer the Umnumzaan.

@ Foxtrot,

yea i'm on way to get my first Chris Reeve Knife and i'm going for the Umnumzaan. let you guyz know how it goes. thx for all the info

It is probably not even important anymore by now (as he already bought the knife, I guess) but maybe some other guys have the same question and will read this … so the hell with it, here are my 2 cents:

Get the large! I handled both the small and the large for a while. The small is neat. But If it's in your pocket, you want to know IT'S THERE! The small one just disappears, IMO. The other thing is: People ask all the time "what did you pay".
I know it sounds weird … but if someone would say YOU PAID 330 DOLLARS FOR A SMALL SEB?!?! I would go "hehe … wellllll *break out in sweat*".
But if someone says YOU PAID 400 DOLLARS FOR A LARGE SEB?!?!? I would say "FUCK YEAH!"
(To be honest, here in Germany, with tax and customs and everything, you pay even 650$)

Long story short: For that amount of money … you want to have something in hand. With the large, you do!

The office factor: I work in an office too. On top of that, one-hand knifes are illegal here. So is a small knife better? NO! So are co-workers scared? Maybe.
But once they understand that you are a knife guy, they will see things differently.
Just infect them with your passion. Make them understand what's so great about knifes. And after 2-3 times they see you handle with that thing, they don't even care anymore.

I flip my balisong all day at work. No one even looks anymore. (i hope it's the non-caring part. And not that they're scared shitless)

Just remember to consider where the primary use is going to be. If you are going to be using this a lot around non-knife people (office setting) the Large is going to be too big, too intimidating. That blade to most people is huge. The small is perfect if you need to cut something and there are lots of people around. It may still look intimidating to sheeple but it's not scary big.

Sounds like this is all great justification to own at least one of each size! Personally thinking a small Sebenza for the weekday and a large pivot Umnumzaan for the weekend would be just about perfect! Realizing this doesn't help the initial question, which one first. Ok, five work days, two weekend days, thus the small Sebenza first immediately followed by the large. Or, find a slightly used version of each and buy together solving the issue immediately for a little less cash investment then two new. Either way, you NEED both eventually. Truth be known, going through the same issue myself. It is coming down to the quest of finding a clean LNIB Large pivot Umnumzaan at a fair price vs. the small Sebenza's that are very available. Half the challenge is the quest! Note: this is 2013 and the Umnumzaan now has the small pivot pin.

Man, talk about a resurrected thread. Still a useful conversation, though. I prefer small, but each to their own.

Man, talk about a resurrected thread. Still a useful conversation, though. I prefer small, but each to their own.

No doubt. She's an oldie.

Personally I greatly prefer the large.
Ive gone to purchase a small a few times, but every time I actually handle one it always surprises me how small it really is.
So I always end up passing and picking up something else.
The large isn't that big of a folder as it is. I think when people hear "large" Sebenza they get this picture in their head of a big huge honking folder. It's not. Its more of a tastefully done medium sized knife.

Back