Buying from Overseas Questions

Hi, I am in the US and looking to purchase a knife from a retailer in Germany. The site states I am responsible for customs etc but don’t know how much that equates to. I tried googling and calling customs, but it’s all recordings and no help. Does anyone know what I should expect to pay on a roughly $300 purchase or if there are any other negatives to dealing overseas?

Thanks in advance for you assistance!

The final cost is going to depend also on the carrier. Are they going to use UPS, DHL or something like that? If so, you could call them and see what their cost is going to be. You will be paying US customs, whatever it is + the carrier additional handling fee. I know that UPS charges you a fixed rate (truly expensive) for just taking your package to customs, and the never fail to do so. When I buy something from the US and comes by USPS... sometimes slips through Customs no problem and I don't get to pay anything extra.

Mikel

To my knowledge $0. I haven't bought from any retailers , but have bought from individuals and never paid anything. Going US to other countries there is often fees, but haven't experienced them coming to US.

I've ordered several orders from a retailer in Germany, and never had to pay anything above shipping.

The site states I am responsible for customs etc but don’t know how much that equates to.

Rather than referring to a fee, maybe what they mean is that they aren't responsible if it gets seized by customs?

Rather than referring to a fee, maybe what they mean is that they aren't responsible if it gets seized by customs?

This^. I've never had to pay anything above the shipping from Germany or any other country for that matter. The seller is basically saying that are not liable once it hit's US Customs because it's out of their control at that point. I've never had any issues buying knives from European countries other than some slightly extended shipping times. Once the packages hit the US, USPS tracking should work.

Just 10 minutes ago I took a delivery (via UPS) from Lamnia, out of Finland I believe. No adder for customs duties. Arrived in 3 business days from when I placed the order last week.

The only time I've had to pay on items from overseas was on a $3k watch. The only other issue to be aware of is if your shipment contains any regulated materials (exotic leather for example), and that it may be stuck in customs for an indeterminate amount of time. I had them hold onto something for about a month once. And there's no internal tracking, just a black box that it hopefully comes out of eventually.

Just 10 minutes ago I took a delivery (via UPS) from Lamnia, out of Finland I believe. No adder for customs duties. Arrived in 3 business days from when I placed the order last week.
I had the same experience. I bought a Cheburkov from Lamnia a while ago. Free shipping, so specific charge for duties or tariffs and no ST. I’m in the NE US and it got to me as quickly as anything from R1, KC, BHQ, DLT, KSF or GP ever got to me. Discreet packaging, too. No labels screaming “KNIFE ENCLOSED” or anything like that.

Thanks! I’ll go ahead and place my order soon and see what happens lol

Last edited:
add me to the list of those who have ordered many knives axes swords and other items from overseas vendors and never had customs or extra fees of any kind involved.....this is not to say you will be so lucky as well.... but I've never had any issues.....thus far

Back