1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

2. Week 39 of the BladeForums.com Year of Giveaways is live! Enter to win a Cold Steel Tuff Lite & Cold Steel Prize Pack

Click here to enter the drawing for your chance to win a Cold Steel Knives Tuff Lite & Cold Steel Merch Prize Pack , Bladeforums.com swag or memberships!
    Be sure to read the rules before entering, and help us decide next week's giveaway by hitting the poll in that thread!

Entries will close at 11:59PM Saturday, Sept 28 ; winners will be drawn on Sunday @ 5pm on our Youtube Channel: TheRealBladeForums. Bonus prizes will be given during the livestream!

Questions? Comments? Post in the discussion thread here

Buying from Overseas Questions

Discussion in 'General Knife Discussion' started by Mcap79, Aug 5, 2019.

1. Mcap79

Mcap79 Gold Member Gold Member

Jun 6, 2019
    Hi, I am in the US and looking to purchase a knife from a retailer in Germany. The site states I am responsible for customs etc but don’t know how much that equates to. I tried googling and calling customs, but it’s all recordings and no help. Does anyone know what I should expect to pay on a roughly $300 purchase or if there are any other negatives to dealing overseas?

Thanks in advance for you assistance!

2. Mikel_24

Mikel_24

Sep 19, 2007
    The final cost is going to depend also on the carrier. Are they going to use UPS, DHL or something like that? If so, you could call them and see what their cost is going to be. You will be paying US customs, whatever it is + the carrier additional handling fee. I know that UPS charges you a fixed rate (truly expensive) for just taking your package to customs, and the never fail to do so. When I buy something from the US and comes by USPS... sometimes slips through Customs no problem and I don't get to pay anything extra.

Mikel

Mcap79 likes this.
  3. Peter Hartwig

Peter Hartwig Gold Member Gold Member

Feb 29, 2008
    To my knowledge $0. I haven't bought from any retailers , but have bought from individuals and never paid anything. Going US to other countries there is often fees, but haven't experienced them coming to US.

Mcap79 likes this.
  4. ekastanis

ekastanis Gold Member Gold Member

Jan 16, 2018
    Mcap79 likes this.
  5. JD Mandrell

JD Mandrell Gold Member Gold Member

Apr 20, 2001
    I've ordered several orders from a retailer in Germany, and never had to pay anything above shipping.

Mcap79 likes this.
  6. jlauffer

jlauffer Gold Member Gold Member

Apr 11, 2016
    Rather than referring to a fee, maybe what they mean is that they aren't responsible if it gets seized by customs?

Mcap79 likes this.
  7. aleforme

aleforme Gold Member Gold Member

Feb 21, 2013
    This^. I've never had to pay anything above the shipping from Germany or any other country for that matter. The seller is basically saying that are not liable once it hit's US Customs because it's out of their control at that point. I've never had any issues buying knives from European countries other than some slightly extended shipping times. Once the packages hit the US, USPS tracking should work.

Mcap79 likes this.
  8. TRfromMT

TRfromMT Gold Member Gold Member

Jan 4, 2016
    Just 10 minutes ago I took a delivery (via UPS) from Lamnia, out of Finland I believe. No adder for customs duties. Arrived in 3 business days from when I placed the order last week.

Mcap79 and Stumpy72 like this.
  9. atdegs

atdegs Gold Member Gold Member

Jul 17, 2019
    The only time I've had to pay on items from overseas was on a $3k watch. The only other issue to be aware of is if your shipment contains any regulated materials (exotic leather for example), and that it may be stuck in customs for an indeterminate amount of time. I had them hold onto something for about a month once. And there's no internal tracking, just a black box that it hopefully comes out of eventually.

Mcap79 likes this.
  10. Mcap79

Jun 6, 2019
    This is all great info! Thank you very much!

11. Stumpy72

Stumpy72 Basic Member Basic Member

Jul 5, 2018
    I had the same experience. I bought a Cheburkov from Lamnia a while ago. Free shipping, so specific charge for duties or tariffs and no ST. I’m in the NE US and it got to me as quickly as anything from R1, KC, BHQ, DLT, KSF or GP ever got to me. Discreet packaging, too. No labels screaming “KNIFE ENCLOSED” or anything like that.

Mcap79 likes this.
  12. Mcap79

Jun 6, 2019
    Thanks! I’ll go ahead and place my order soon and see what happens lol

Last edited: Aug 5, 2019
  13. Hawgsnawt

Hawgsnawt

Aug 16, 2015
    add me to the list of those who have ordered many knives axes swords and other items from overseas vendors and never had customs or extra fees of any kind involved.....this is not to say you will be so lucky as well.... but I've never had any issues.....thus far

Mcap79 likes this.