Buying My First Sebenza.... Which One?

Don't buy no ugly knife and a plain sebenza is ugly and once it is scratched up it is uglier. The blasted blade is ugly as well. There is a lot better ways to finish titanium and steel than the way CRK does for the basic sebenza.

This kept me from buying a sebenza for years until if foud a ccg that I could see, pick up and handle. It was pretty, it was shiny and had a shiny blade. I waited a full year until I could go to a B&M and pick out a cg one in person. It was worth it.

Don't buy no ugly knife.

I got a good laugh out of this!

What you see as ugly, I see as awesome

Brownshoe,
I disagree completely. Switch CGG with Plain and that is how I feel. I find the CGG versions often to be tacky while the Plain versions have a dignified simplicity.

Good thing CRK makes different looking knives for different customers. And I agree: Life is too short to carry an ugly knife.

Hey i know i'm in the minority, crk sells a boatload more plains. :)

I was originally torn between the plain Jane and CF versions as well. I went with the plain Jane first and now have a CF one as well (full CF not inlayed though). If I had to do it over again, I'd still get the plain jane first. The way it wears, you tend to be able to bond with the knife very well (if that makes any sense).

The plain jane is just such a cool knife. It's so simple but so beautiful in it's simplicity. Since you don't see yourself buying another Sebenza soon, I'd recommend getting the plain jane even more, because if it's going to be a user, what better look for a user than worn out blasted ti??

2014-07-30%252017.55.23.jpg

Sebenza21%252C%2520z33.jpg

IMG_20140810_000318.jpg

I agree with Harris!

My 1st choice in a small is the Micarta inlay. As said before it helps fill the hand a bit as well as added grip, which on a smaller knife can be a big plus.
2nd would be the plain Jane. On day 2 the ti will have some snail marks and not be as pretty as new. After 2 years those added marks make it into a thing of beauty much like a broken in pair of jeans.
On blade finish, I am strongly in the stonewashed camp. It will look great for years to come.
While there is no style I don't like, there are knives within each style that appeal to me more(example-I like the CGG Stars and Stripes, but not all CGG patterns). Buy what looks good to you and enjoy.

I buy most(not all) my Sebenza's from the secondary market. You can get a significant discount on the price, especially plain Janes like new except for ti marks.

I find it funny people shy away from the "polished" blade.
As many see the marks on the Ti scales as some character - it's the same for me on the blade finish.
red mag

I find it funny people shy away from the "polished" blade.
As many see the marks on the Ti scales as some character - it's the same for me on the blade finish.
red mag

The blade scratches on polished blades just don't give me the same feeling as the ti. Then again stonewashed is just a bunch of scratches, but I like that look.
That said-My last Plain Jane did come with a polished blade, so it is going to have to grow on me. I think I will survive.

FWIW, I just picked up a small micarta Insigno … hasn't arrived yet.
I owned a small Classic for a short time, but alas, had to let her go … I loved everything about that knife, but ya gots to do what ya gots to do …
I have always been a fan of wharncliffe and modified wharnie blades … not as traditional looking, but man are they functional.
I'm already looking at picking up a large Sebenza, maybe another Insigno … or maybe a 'Zaan … love the looks of that one too …
Bottom line is I suspect you will have more than one before its over … a very pretty lady once told me "a man needs choices" … smart girl, that one - she was talking about watches (as she gifted me a very nice timepiece), but I still think it applies …

~ Edge

Back