Bye-bye, Moran edge

I recently bought a Moran Featherweight. This is a great knife, as we all know by now. I won't give a full review at this time. Instead, I want to share with you all the sense of liberation I experienced as a result of sharpening away the beautiful Moran edge.

Generally, the first thing I do with a new knife is sharpen it to my own specifications. I like my edges thin and a bit "grabby". While the Moran edge on the Featherweight was thin enough to suit me, it was too highly polished for optimal slicing. Normally this would not present a problem for me, but I was hesitant to mess with this especially beautiful knife because I didn't want to mar the original finish: once the Moran edge has been sharpened, it cannot be restored with the talent and technology at my disposal.

I hesitated to use this knife for about two weeks--the amount of time it took me to acquire an Edge-Works kydex slip sheath (try saying that several times fast). With this superconvenient sheath to replace the well-made (admitedly), but thick and ugly Spyderco sheath, I now found it impossible to resist the urge to actually carry and use the knife. This meant that I could no longer justify saving the original Moran edge in its pristine, highly polished state. Knowing how much thought and refinement went into the design and manufacture of the Moran Featherweight, I didn't want to put it away and never use it. So I swallowed hard, got out my course DMT diamond hone and never looked back.

Grinding away the Moran edge was cathartic. I think I have purified my soul. I can now use a knife that needs to be used, and not worry about what I'll do when it gets dull. The knife belongs to me now, even though it still has Bill Moran's name on it.

For those of you who own one of these knives, or who are thinking about getting one, don't be afraid on account of the unmaintainability of the Moran edge. Within every Moran edge there is a perfectly good Conventional edge struggling to get out.

David Rock

[This message has been edited by David Rock (edited 20 February 1999).]

Dave,
Thanks for the encouragement.....now where is my Lansky? Soon, I too, shall be free!
smile.gif

------------------

~Greg~

Dave (you too Greg
smile.gif
):

Sure you can reprofile the edge but why rush to do so? If you touch up the edge on a Spydie Shrapmaker after use, you'll maintain the razor for a long, long time before you'll see any flat bevel developing on the convex Moran rolled edge.

If you read Joe Talmadge's FAQs you'll note that this style edge is the strongest and most resistant to having the edge "roll" on you. In other words it has great merit. Savor it
smile.gif
!

-=[Bob]=-

Dave, I couldn't agree with you more. Shave that blade anyway you want! If you are comfortable with doing away with the "rolled edge" and want "your" sharpest edge, certainly "go for it". Whatever is the easiest and most maintainable edge for you, "do it"! It will make for a knife you will carry and use and not be afraid of when sharpening time comes.

Hey, Dave, I have to agree with Bald,aka Bob, Ive had a Moran for a while, my camp, hiking main FB for awhile now,,,(nothing real heavy,though) The Edge for me is perfect and touches up easily...gotta love the grain on that VG-10!! But , thats the point..(no pun intended) We are all free to do what we want, with are blades! for me hearing other peoples preferences is the best part..Gives me the opportunity to agree or disagree,daaaaah!!boy I must be feeling philosophic,this morning :O...Must be a little of that Sam Adams,runnin around in my head.or was it that one Blue Moon Belgian White I had at the party last nite..WHOOA, Well anyway I myself enjoy hearin all the opinions here!!

-------------------------
"Everyone says, I'm immature and crazed....
but better that than, confused and dazed"
-------------------------
To all my friends out there
biggrin.gif
BART

In line with Bob's comment above about touching up the blade, I have found that by using a steel (I am using the Razor Edge steel which I got from Tim Flanagan of Nor'east Knives)one can go for much longer periods without needing to sharpen (and thus remove metal from) the edge.

Blues

------------------
Live Free or Die

Back