Bye Bye Sebbie

Well you guys talked me in to the Large Classic Sebbie and I gave it a try but I have decided it just isnt for me. Crazy? Ya I know! I put it up on Ebay this morning for significantly less than I paid and less than all the other Sebbies on Ebay right now as well. I think I have somehow become addicted to the BM AXIS lock and can't seem to get past it. I have come to believe the AXIS lock to be the next best thing to a fixed blade knife. I'm really not that big on folders at all and only really every own 1 or 2 at a time so I also can't see keeping the Sebbie if it is just going to sit in the safe all day while I EDC my Shadow III instead. :) That's right. I'm still a BIG CRK fan and I am hanging on tight to my Shadow III and still planning on getting the big bad 14" OAL Shadow in the (hopefully near) future. Sorry ... try not to hurt me too bad! :D

dont think you really used it or gave it a chance....but what do I know anyway...

good luck with your benchmade(I went thru 3 of them before I gave up)

I have and use both. The 705 and 710 have never had a problem in my experience. Use my small sibbie the most.

I'm thinking about trying the 710 but I'm going to wait and see what type of opinion I get on another post in the main forum first

Sebbies aren't for everyone Brian6244.

I think that it's pretty impressive that you went to the effort of trying (helll, Sebbies aren't cheap) and that you're not running all over the place. . .hair on fire, arms waving and trashing the knife !

One of the great things about our knife addiction is the hunt for "holy grail." Some people find it. . . .others search for years. :D

Way too much eye candy out there. . . :D

GigOne said:

I think that it's pretty impressive that you went to the effort of trying (helll, Sebbies aren't cheap) and that you're not running all over the place. . .hair on fire, arms waving and trashing the knife !

One of the great things about our knife addiction is the hunt for "holy grail." Some people find it. . . .others search for years. :D

Way too much eye candy out there. . . :D

you have no doubt seen my RJ Martin Avenger?

I do love my sebenzas though, still carry the stars and stripes every darn day!

LaBella said:
you have no doubt seen my RJ Martin Avenger?

I do love my sebenzas though, still carry the stars and stripes every darn day!

No I haven't Ron. Please mail it to me so that I may take a closer look at it. :p

Actually, the RJM Avenger is sweet ! I've got a Contender on my wish list; does that count ? :D

YES and yes!

*thread hijack in progress though!

Hey Brian, Good Luck with the Axis Locks! I hope the first time one of those little Omega springs breaks you don't get too discouraged. I had that happen to me on a small griptilian, and it kind of turned me off to the Axis lock. I find that the simpler the lock, the better, at least for me. I hope you get a good amount for the Sebenza on eBay! Myself, I am trying to choose between a large Regular and a large Classic Sebbie. One I will keep and the other will be sold soon. I would like to keep both, but the Tax Man is coming! :mad:

Toted a BM705 for a few years, then tried a regular small Sebenza, didn't care for it as much at first, and went back to the BM705. The turnoff's to the Seb were the handle scratch-factor, the single lug, and concerns I had over wear and tear on the integral lock. I sent an email with several questions to CRK, and went back to the BM705 in the meantime. In response to my email, Chris actually called me and left a message requesting a return-call. We talked for about 30 minutes about my concerns, which he addressed directly. Since that call, I gave the small Seb another chance and never looked back. I found that all of my concerns were unfounded other than the scratch-factor which I actually have grown fond of now. From the perspective of one who has owned many folders, custom and production, the Sebenza, as expensive as it may seem, is the best value on the knife market today. Cry once, pay for the best, and have it last you a lifetime.

But as was stated by GigOne, Sebenza's are not for everyone, and BM's are fine products. Enjoy your BM705, as if there were no small Sebenza in existence, the BM705 would be my EDC in a heartbeat.

Professor.

GigOne said:

Thanks for the compliment. I wouldn't dream of doing such a thing. It tuely is a great knife and I would still recommend it to people for whom I thought it would suit their wants/needs. It just didn't work out for me.

Bah humbug ... you people have poisoned my brain! :) After reading old posts and looking over my Sebenza I decided that I am going to keep it. Such a fine tool! I'm still not planning on carrying it (at least for now). I'm going to continue carrying my new BM941, however, this thing is truely irreplaceable and and somewhere in my mind I think it still may be the holy grail for which I seek. So I ended the ebay auction early (9 watchers but no bids fortunatley) and tucked it away safely in the safe. I figure if I sell it then I'll never buy another so I will keep it, and knowing me, it may end up once again being my EDC... maybe in a month or a year or 3 years but either way it's worth keeping in the safe for now. I just can't part with the darn thing! :)

Thanks a lot for poisoning me!
:D :barf: :D :footinmou :D :p :D

This may be the wrong places to ask but two questions.

First, any one have dual thumbstuds on your Sebenza? How do you like it that way?

Second, I read a comment on a a survival forum that a grain or two of sand can 'lockup' a Sebenza due to the close tollerances. My experience with close tollerances is that the sand can't get in, for example Victorinox. I am new to Sebbies, love the two lefties I have.

Thanks! :cool:

GarageBoy said:
Keep the Seb in your right pocket and move your ambi AXIS Bms to the left =D

I hear ya. I just got a BM 710HS, but just can't bring myself to replace the small regular in my RF. So the 710 rides in my RR.

Brian6244 said:
Thanks a lot for poisoning me!
:D :barf: :D :footinmou :D :p :D

Resistance is futile. If you don't start wearing your tinfoil hat, that Seb will eventually talk its way into your pocket. :D

agreatscot said:
First, any one have dual thumbstuds on your Sebenza? How do you like it that way?

I went out of my way to get dual thumstuds. I like to be able to open and close a knife with either hand. There is not as much as an indentation in the frame on the left so the knife is a little harder to open with the left hand but no big deal.

Quote I went out of my way to get dual thumstuds. I like to be able to open and close a knife with either hand. There is not as much as an indentation in the frame on the left so the knife is a little harder to open with the left hand but no big deal.

That is what I thought, cognitivefun, especially for hiking carry. If your primary hand is injured, essential equipment should be operable by your weak hand. Thanks! :D

While few sane people would argue the Sebenza isn't an extremely well made, precision folder, no knife can be perfect for everyone, that's not possible, people have different hands, ideals, and use knives differently, so, the Sebenza cannot be for everyone, no knife can be.

As for a folder that is as close to a fixed blade as is possible, I'd say the Extrema Ratio folders are just that. When you examine them, well, the F&F is Sebenza-like, which is to say, amazing, but then, you see how massively constructed the lock is, (a 1/4" thick lockback!) well, I cannot imagine this knife ever closing on you inadvertantly, something I hesitate to say, about even the best liner/framelocks.

My only gripe about the ER folders is that the edge is so thick as it nears the tip, it loses a lot of sharpness, but, that's to make the tip area extremely thick, strong and rugged, and any custom maker could put a thinner edge on there if you really wanted it.

Back