C54 Calypso vs. Military.

Greetings all,

I have been lurking for a week or so on the various knife fora, reading voraciously. In looking to replace my Gerber Covert with a more useful general purpose utility folder of similar size, I have finally whittled my selection down to the large Calypso, and the Military -- both in plain edge.

A present I am 60/40 in favour of the Military, mostly do to the ease of operation offered by liner lock and larger hole, as well as the positive grip offered by the G10 scales. The Calypso however, offers lighter weight and an undeniably more elegant look.

CPM-440V vs VG-10? I have heard a great deal about the edge-holding capability and abrasion resistance of CPM-440V, but I have heard seen little mention of VG-10's positive characteristics, particularly in contrast to CPM-440V (most comparisons being done vs. ATS-55).

Would anyone care to comment on any of the factors here, or add some other relevant information that might be useful in finalizing a decision between the two? I should note that I have never owned a knife with either micarta or G10 handles.

The price difference is small enough to be irrelevant, and while the C54 is discontinued it is still available at a few dealers.

Thanks.

Carlos,

Well, I've owned both for awhile so I guess I will try. First let me say the mandatory Spyderco thing, why not get both because they really are different knives?

Anyway, the Military is the real worker. If you are likely to pull this knife out in the middle of a field somewhere and set to work cutting off a bunch of small tree seedlings that are coming up where you don't want them, then you want a Military (for that particular application you want the serrated version). If you want a knife that you carry when at work (in an office) and you just need a long, wickedly sharp knife then the Calypso is a great choice. Steel wise, I'm a big fan of VG-10. I have the Calypso, the Shabaria and an original Moran and they are all easy to get really scary sharp. And that edge will stay there for a long time. My 440v Military (serrated) will get sharp as well but since I actually use it hard I do end up re-sharpening once a month or so. The Military is the knife I carry around the farm (with my G-10 Harpy). If something needs to be cut, it does it. I don't worry about scratching it or getting it oily or anything else. It's a working tool. The Calypso is my city knife. I keep it very sharp but rarely cut anything other than a box with it. I am careful not to scratch it since it is just such a beautiful knife.

Like I said, you need both!

Gregg

The Military is the real high-performance tool. The Calypso might be pleasing to the eye, but the abuse it can take is much less.
It depends on what you are planning to do with the knife.

Costas

P.S. nice to see "fora" instead of "forums" every once in a while...

The Military is one of my favorite knives. But there are some areas where I think the Calypso is marginally superior.

1. More efficienct blade/edge geometry for slicing.
2. More comfortable handle, due to ergonomics and smoothness.
3. Comfortable to carry and won't tear up pockets.

None of these aspects have made me want to trade in my Military for a Calypso, since the Military itself is not at all shabby in these respects. I favor the Military simply on account of its greater strength.

When looking at the Military, don't forget to notice how well the blade is supported between the handle slabs, without any appreciable gap. Not many liner-locks support the blade this well. The single recessed liner makes the Military stronger than many people realize. It's a beautifully engineered knife.

As for the steel difference, I think I like VG-10 better, although for me design aspects oughtweigh any advantage offered by one steel over the other.

If you think you might end up buying both knives, you might want to get the Calpyso first, as the Military is still being produced, and will be around longer.

Let us know what you end up choosing.

David Rock

------------------
AKTI Member # A000846
Stop when you get to bone.

If you're gonna work the knife, get the Military. Not because of the steel; both steels will offer EXCELLENT service. But, IMO, the design of the Military is superior for a working knife, mainly due to the handle, and the material it is made of.

------------------
iktomi

Thanks for the input everyone. I'll be getting a Military (plain) and a Calypso Jr. Lightweight (serrated).

I would suggest the Calypso ligthweight in plain edge. This knife is famous for being one of the best "slicers" around. If you buy it with a serrated edge, then it's just another Spyderco, might as well get a Delica serrated instead...

I agree with Costas. I like my serrations on my hard working knife, in this case the Military.

I prefer the flat-ground blade and tip-down carry of the Calypso Lite over the Delica/Endura's hollow grind and tip-up carry.

To those who recommends the Military: Do you prefer the ATS 34 or the CPM 440V blade in this model and why?
Thanks!
Barry

Well, I have the 440V, and don't have any real problems with it. Just don't expect it to keep a wicked sharp edge any longer than most other premium steels. IMO, about the same as ATS-34, but a little easier to sharpen.

------------------
iktomi

IME, the 440V version holds an edge much better. I leave its edge a bit toothy and it seems to bite thru all sorts of materials with greater ease. But then if you are a heavy user, you will require sharpening on a regular basis anyhow.

Without question my preference is the Militarys amply textured G10 scales over the Calypsos smooth micarta finish. If you are a heavy user, just see what happens when a little oil, sweat or other liquid gets on their scales!

The Military has a more versatile blade shape and its eccentric pivot pin allows for lockup adjustment.

L8r,
Nakano

It sounds really weird, but the Calypso's handle actually offers a better grip than the Military's handle when they're both wet! You would think that the exact opposite would be true, as the Military handle has a rough texture and the Calypso handle is quite smooth.

Water makes the G10 handle very slippery, but the micarta handle actually seems to be slightly less slippery when it's wet than when it's dry. Amazing! Try it out and see what happens.

Hmm. As I write this, I wonder if the same effect would be evident if you put oil on the handles, rather than water. I'll go try it...

Huh. I put some mineral oil on both handles, and the Military won hands down. The Military's handle was still pretty grippy, while the Calypso's handle was slicker than a bar of soap. Maybe the micarta can absorb a bit of the water to make the handle more adherent, but it can't absorb oil.

smile.gif

Dont know about Military, but my large Calypso is my "city-large-one-folder" when my Starmate is my "country-side-puukko-folder". Large Calypso is the easiest folder to carry in its size range. I have also Starmate, Shabaria, Endura and J D Smith in its size range so I can compare only to those.

Well, I just bought my first Military in CPM 440V and I am extremely impressed with the over quality, craftsmanship and value of this design. You know, a guy can spend a whole lot more for a custom folder out there. But with Spyderco making such a superb folder, why would anyone spend twice as much to achieve similar exucution?
What amazed my the most about the Military, was that the edge was polished to a mirror finish. (I was cutting plastic "T"-molding at work today and can still shave with this knive!) I haven't seen that feature in any other knive in the same price range.
Question: Without knowing when my knife was produced, how do I determine what angle the blade was ground at? I have an old Sharpmaker 203 (45 degrees) which I replaced with a 204 this January. I have had to resharpen all my knives. Am I going to have to do that to the Military, or can I assume that the blade was ground at 40 degress?
Oh, and buy the way, I have also ordered a large Calypso and am looking for a Calypso Jr. Ltw. to round out my working knife collection. Kudos to Sal and the rest of the crew at Spyderco.
Barry H.

Carlos - Get the military! Its got plenty of belly and a great blade design. I've got the serrated one and will for a plain edged!!
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif

Sam

------------------
have spydies
will travel...

Back