CA Neck Knife Legality

In California fixed blades that are worn openly and suspended from the waist are not considered concealed and therefor legal. How would this apply to knives known as kneck knives, which are typically carried in small sheaths, suspended from the neck by a short lanyard or bead chain? Sheaths for these knives seldom have belt loops or clips for belt carry due to their small size and many are intentionally designed to be worn around the neck.

My thoughts are that as long as the knife is in plain view and not concealed in any way that it is legal under California law. But then there's the phrase suspended from the waist.

CHAPTER 1. General Provisions [20200- 20200.]
( Chapter 1 added by Stats. 2010, Ch. 711, Sec. 6. )

A knife carried in a sheath that is worn openly suspended from the waist of the wearer is not concealed within the meaning of Section 16140, 16340, 17350, or 21310.

(Added by Stats. 2010, Ch. 711, Sec. 6. (SB 1080) Effective January 1, 2011. Operative January 1, 2012, by Sec. 10 of Ch. 711.)

Last edited:

Maybe a small carbiner attatching the knife and its sheath to a belt loop would be in compliance with being worn openly suspended from the waist.

The law in California doesn't say that fixed blades "must be worn openly and suspended from the waist". Ca penal code 20200 merely offers an explanation that carrying a fixed blade in a sheath hanging from ones waist is legal, it does not mandate that fixed blades be worn in sheaths suspended from the waist.

The statute in CA that prohibits the concealed carry of fixed blades (dirks and daggers) states that "concealed upon the person" is what is illegal (CA penal code 21310). There is nothing in the California penal code that says carrying a fixed blade suspended from a cord or chain around the neck of the wearer is concealed or illegal.

I live in San Diego and I used to carry a fixed blade in a back pocket sheath. A few different LEO's saw it and didn't have any problem with it. Of course that's not offered as legal advice, it's merely my personal experience. I personally wouldn't have any concerns wearing a neck knife in California as long as it was clearly visible, and as long as it complied with any local blade length ordinances.

Last edited:
Back