1. BladeForums has ZERO TOLERANCE for extremism or calls of violence. We request your assistance dealing with this as we do not want to see the site shut down due to violent threats. Please see this thread here in Tech Support: https://www.bladeforums.com/threads/bladeforums-has-a-zero-tolerance-policy-towards-threats-of-violence-extremism-be-warned.1769537/

Recommendation? Cable Damascus blade shape feedback

Discussion in 'Shop Talk - BladeSmith Questions and Answers' started by ERRN, Jan 13, 2021 at 9:16 PM.

1. ERRN

ERRN Gold Member Gold Member

Aug 29, 2015
    I had another go at cable Damascus and ended up with a pretty decent weld up this time. I’m still learning how to widen a work piece without drawing it out, so this blade didn’t quite hit the dimensions and proportions I was going for. The whole thing turned out longer and narrower than I had planned, and I’m wondering if the handle is just way too long, and if I should shorten it before finishing this one up or any other suggestions on tweaking the shape. Normally I’d just toss it in the wonkey pile and move on, but I’d like to try and pull something serviceable out of this since I’d like to see the cable Damascus results. I’m just curious what some fresh and more experienced eyes would say. The more I stare at it, the more I hate it. Appreciate any feedback kind or harsh.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. argel55

argel55

Oct 30, 2005
    You must have small hands because I would like it that long. Especially with that big a bladed knife.

3. ERRN

Aug 29, 2015
    I have pretty meaty paws, but I also like a larger handle usually. That’s why I tend to get them a little too long sometimes.

4. Cliff Carter Knives

Cliff Carter Knives KnifeMaker / Craftsman / Service Provider Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

May 30, 2011
    I think it looks great! If it’s really bothering you, just bandsaw 1/2” off the end. Would still maintain aesthetics even with losing the 1/2”

ERRN likes this.
  5. scherf68

scherf68 Basic Member Basic Member

Feb 12, 2020
    I like it but new at making knives.

ERRN likes this.
  6. Stacy E. Apelt - Bladesmith

Stacy E. Apelt - Bladesmith ilmarinen - MODERATOR Moderator Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Aug 20, 2004
    Looks fine.

To draw the width down, use a cross peen hammer. It is best to do this early in the shaping before you have forged the blade to full length. The peen should be the direction of tip to butt. This pushes the metal only toward the edge. After drawing it down, smoothing it up with a standard hammer.

ERRN likes this.
  7. Blackdirt cowboy

Blackdirt cowboy

Oct 29, 2015
    I think it looks great. I, too, have large hands and prefer a longer handle, so that one doesn’t bother me at all. As said above, if it bothers you, just cut a little off and then grind to shape. I’m curious to see this one finished.

ERRN likes this.
  8. A.McPherson

A.McPherson KnifeMaker / Craftsman / Service Provider Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Jan 27, 2012
    Just lop off the butt end and shape it similarly. You have enough material that you could even shape it the same and put in the lanyard hole in the same spot.

ERRN likes this.
  9. weo

weo KnifeMaker / Craftsman / Service Provider Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Sep 21, 2014
    Once you get scales on that, it'll add some 'meat' and it might not look so long and narrow.
    I say finish it, and if it's not what you were looking for, give it to a friend or donate it to an action and forge out another one for yourself.

ERRN likes this.
  10. ERRN

Aug 29, 2015
    Thank you for the feedback. I’ll just stick with it as is and work info finishing it up and see. It’s true that some handle material with add some beef to it and maybe help a lot with the feel. I’ll post up some pictures on here with how it turns out.