1. Washington action alert - Spring blade knife ban repeal thread. Hearing is Tues, Vote is Friday, let your voice be heard!

cable hawk

Discussion in 'Shop Talk Archive' started by rotor, Apr 16, 2001.

1. rotor

rotor

Mar 18, 1999
    well here it is i have been contemplating doing a hawk for some time this is the third one the first i broke when i percied the steel the second came out allright but once i figured out i actually do it i had to bang some cable together here's the stats 80 percent forged to shape its rite at 6 inches long its got a 2 inch cutting edge and the hole for the handle is 3/4" in dia next one i do the hole will be larger.let me know what ya think
    [​IMG]

[This message has been edited by rotor (edited 04-16-2001).]

[This message has been edited by rotor (edited 04-16-2001).]

2. richard rosvall

richard rosvall

Apr 24, 2000
    Lookin' good! How do you go about piercing the hole? [​IMG]

3. L6steel

L6steel

Sep 23, 1999
    Wow Russ, that etched really well. Beautiful pattern!!!! What kinda handle you puttin on it???

------------------
    Take care!! Michael [​IMG]

Always think of your fellow knife makers as partners in the search for the perfect blade, not as people trying to compete with you and your work!
    http://www.nebsnow.com/L6steel
    Buzzards gotta eat, same as worms!!!

4. NickWheeler

NickWheeler

Dec 3, 1999
    Very nice! [​IMG]

Great job welding up the cable. What diameter cable did you start with?

Looks great, thanks for posting [​IMG]

Nick

5. Bruce Evans

Bruce Evans

Sep 26, 1999
    That is totally "AWSOME" You are making me want to go play in the fire now...
    Bruce

------------------
    Bruce Evans Handcrafted Knives
    The soul of the Knife begins in the Fire!!!!!
    Member of,AKTI#A000223 and The American Bladesmith Society
    [​IMG]

6. rotor

rotor

Mar 18, 1999
    to peirce the hole i used a chisel cut it through then i took a peice of round bar stock beveled the end and pounded it through
    utilizeing the hardy hole on the anvil.
    the cable was about 1" to 1 1/4" dia to start
    but when i prep it i heat it up an twist it tight ill put it in the vise ive got the one that has the pipe holding jaws below the main jaws.when that is complete the cable is about 1 1/2" as for handle im thinking some red oak 18" maybe some leather wrap and some
    relief work but anything is possible and sugestion are welcome. thanks for thekind words Russ

7. mikeS

mikeS

Apr 7, 1999
    That is a very nice [​IMG]

Some guys like to frill a pilot hole when starting the hotcut, it may help to cut down on the breakage, especially in the cable.

Very nice work, did I mention I like it?

------------------
    Sola Fide