Cable Hawk

Here is a hawk that I just finished (well I still have to make a sheath for it). It was forged out from a 2" thick cable..Horse hair and sinew wrappings...Hope you like it...

Well.... You should just send it to me and try again:D In all seriousnes, that is very nicely done! I picked up some 2" cable at the junkyard today, and will be forging some billets for sanmai blades, and hopefully forging a few hawks with it, too. Did you remove any of the strands before forging it down? Did you have any difficulty cleaning it up before forging the hawk, and if so, how did you go about it (removing rust,grease,etc...)? Again, that's really nice work, man:thumbup:

I really didn't clean it.. the borax and 2400 degree forge did a great job of cleaning the crud out!! I did not remove any of the cables, they are all still in there somewhere..:D Thanks for the comments..

Thanks for the feed back!! Any Ideas on a sheath design?? I don't think that the style that I typically make is appropriate for this hawk, I'm thinking something more mountain manish.... I will probably post this in the for sale area after I finish a sheath for it.

Rocketman: That is really a beautiful piece....has that old world look to it that I always liked. Go to Hartzler & Knowles book Indian Tomahawks & Frontiersmen Belt Axes ....there is a section in there that has some of the 18th/19th Century carry rigs that you might find useful.. I think one of them would go really well with the look of you hawk. BTW put me on that give-a-way list too. Good Work!

Best
Dwight

Thanks for the input Colonel Mclemore, I will have to look that up. And your book as well!!

Back