cable pull/assisted opening knife?

Hi guys :) I signed up due to a knife question thats been bugging me all day.

About ten years ago I had a knife, whose manufacturer I cannot recall. It was a pretty standard looking knife, textured zytel type handle, etc.

The thing of interesting was that the knife had a little lanyard cable you hooked to your belt. The knife could be tucked in your pocket, like a pocket watch, or just left to hang. If you pulled down on the knife... the lanyard pulling free from the knife would act as an assist to opening the blade. Essentually yanking it off your belt opened and locked the knife. It was a really handy feature.

Does this ring a bell with anyone? I'd love to have a knife with a similiar feature again. I think having a knife that could be opened with large muscle motor skills (such as just yanking from the belt) instead of small motor skills (finger movements to open a knife like say a spyderco) would be advantageous in certain situations.

I had a plan looking knife with wooden scales about 10 years ago that sounds similar. It had a small leather lanyard and when you pulled it, it released the blade and the spring did the rest. This was a cheapo that came out of one of those Sharper Edge mags or what ever they used to be. The kind where you put it together to keep it legal for them to sell :)

I think I've seen an ad for something like that in a recent Tactical Knives magazine. Sounds like a gimmick to me, though. There are so many good, reasonably priced folders around with thumbstuds, holes, 'waves' and other opening assists that are a lot simpler and proven reliable, why would you bother?

I remember seeing a knife like that before, but for the life of me, I can't think of who makes it. Schrade keeps popping into my head, but that is probably because they make a knife that clips by a lanyard to your belt loop, but doesn't open on removing it. For gross motor movement for opening a knife on the draw, you should look at an Emerson knife with the Wave feature. Doesn't get any faster than that.

Mike

not the Sharade Cliphanger, though that was the first thing that came to mind when i read the post

was it

Phantom Knives....The Rip Cord Medalian?

RC-MED.jpg

I remembered seeing it in an ad in Blade Magazine and thinking what a big fat gimmick it was. Aparently it has a "key" that pulls the blade out then releases the blade as you pull the knife downwards like a rip-cord. The pic i have in the magazine illustrates it pretty well. It is made out of OK stuff 154 CM blade and G10 inserts, I am just skeptical about the strength of the design. That 180 dollars worth of knife apparently. I would like to meet it in person.

Actually I think this knife is pretty new, prob not the one you remember. But is it similar in concept?

Thanks for the ideas and help guys. So the opinion is that such a device wouldn't be very well constructed/safe?

Back