Cable steel question??

Today I lucked out because I was given a 2 foot length of wide RR rail (anvil) and a 3' length of 5/8" steel cable. Two different places, two really nice guys.

At the cable place the fellow said that the steel was low carbon and probably would not make a very good blade. I am just getting started so it will probably not even make it into anything useful anyways.

But he got me to wondering, How does one find the pedigree of the steel and where would be a good source of wire rope for a decent blade?

What is the best steel, etc?

Anyone ever use H-10?

BoyntonStu

An excellent cable is called "double extra improved plow". It is high carbon like 1095.

I was taught to test cable like this: unravel a couple inches. Heat to non-magnetic and quench in water. Then take a pair of pliers and start snapping strands. If they snap, it's hardened. If not, well.... I think Goddard mentions this in his video, too.

Cables from cranes, large forklifts, heavy equipment are often acceptable. Thicker (1-1/8, 1-1/4" are nice, or you can bundle several 5/8 together). A couple caveats: alot of cable is not all the same wires. If you're unsure, test as above. Most of the wires should snap. Having some low carbon wire will equalize out by carbon migration. A second thing to look out for is that some cable comes with an interior strand of polymer rope inside. If you get this, dismantle and remove the rope.

Low carbon steel is harder to weld than high carbon. If you have problems "practicing" on your freebie, don't get discouraged. It may be the cable.

PS. watch out for stainless cable. You don't want to go there yet...

Hope this helps.

I have some nice cable at home. When I try to cut it with a hack saw It goes blunt quickley. I end up cutting it with a grinder.
That is as rough a way to test as any I can think of. I have know Idea
what it is from. it is second hand.

It has made nice strong blades with a good edge keeping. I suspect if you can cut it real easy it is soft.

Back