Calculator - Steel Cost Per Pound

Daniel Koster

www.kosterknives.com
Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider
I have been ordering steel like crazy lately...and am getting kinda tired of searching for the calculator....so I made this webpage to help me quickly figure out the cost of the steel per pound.

If you are budget-minded like me....:foot:...always searching for the best price....perhaps this might come in hand...feel free to use the crap out of it. :p (I know I will)

http://www.kosterknives.com/calculators.htm

Just put in the price you were quoted, then the dimensions of the bar or sheet and click "Calculate Cost".

It will tell you the total cubic inches and the price per pound.

Right now I am getting O1 and A2 at about $8 per pound.

Would be interesting to see what prices-per-pound everybody's getting.

Hope it helps.

Dan

p.s. if this has already been done...or in a better way...feel free to let me know. I'll update mine....it's in a place I'm not likely to forget easily. :D :foot:

can't use letters....have to use numbers. :D

:foot:

tell me what you're inputting.....perhaps you're putting in 2" instead of just the number 2 ?

Dan

29.66, 2, and 36. The result I'm getting for price per pound and volume is "NaN.00".

I wish I knew more about JavaScript.

Last edited:
That's cool! Thanks for posting!

FWIW, last time I got O1 directly from Crucible, it was less than two dollars per pound.

Phillip - :thumbup:

DrThunder88 - are you putting in a thickness as well?

If I put in 29.66 and leave it at 1/8", and put in 2 and 36 - I get 9 cubic inches and $11.65/lb

Ok...had a thought.....I made a modification to show cubic inches as well as the weight of the steel. :thumbup:

Maybe it's a problem with my browser (Firefox). I tried it on IE and it's working just fine. Cool script!

that was my next suggestion...make sure to be using Internet Explorer...or if you have a different browser, make sure Javascript is enabled. :thumbup:

Right now I am getting O1 and A2 at about $8 per pound.

Would be interesting to see what prices-per-pound everybody's getting.

Hope it helps.

Dan

p.s. if this has already been done...or in a better way...feel free to let me know. I'll update mine....it's in a place I'm not likely to forget easily. :D :foot:

Where are you getting A2 at $8.00/lb? I need a bunch of that.

Talk to Nick Allen (goes by NWA here).

Depends on quantity...generally speaking...the bigger the piece, the lower the price per pound.

Though I've found that when you go below 1/8" thickness, price per pound starts going back up again dramatically...:eek:

Dan

Been a while has it? :) More like $6.50 now - in full sheets.

Rob!

What I got was 1-1/4" round, and I suspect that hasn't gone up a whole lot.
PG flat stock is expensive....
I know Crucible also sells decarb free flats. I wonder how much cheaper that is than pg?

Back