California- Land of Knife Oppression

I have lived in California, and have watched in horrible fascination as our knife laws have gone from bad to worse. Thank God that someone was finally able to say "Thus far and no further!" In 1996 the California senate effectively banned ALL, yes you read that right, ALL knives. Like theives in the night they snuck in through the back door. They change the existing prohibition on carrying concealed Daggers/Dirks. By simply changing the definition of a Dirk or Dagger to include 1) any knife capable of piercing the body cavity ( one inch blade you say?) or 2) any knife capable of severing a major artery (what? You say that it is possible to sever the Carotid Artery with a piece of paper? That would be a viscious paper cut indeed!). Fortunately a group of individuals, lead by Buck Knives (kudos to you!) was able to get this change repealed in early-mid 1998. Finally AKTI has stepped up to the plate to defend the rights- remember, the Right To Keep And Bear Arms does not only apply to firearms- of people who love and use knives. Thank You. Having just discovered AKTI, I will be joining as soon as I can. And as a citizen of California please, help us to keep the knives we own-Join AKTI

Joe Glessner, owner
Sycotic Samurai Cutlery

California's knife laws are actually no worse than a lot of other places - in other words, broad and vague enough to snare many sharp objects you wouldn't expect to be snared, depending on the mood of the authorities.

My personal web page has a CA knife law page at http://home.earthlink.net/~jkmtsm/knifelaw.html

It hasn't been updated in a year or so, but the Legislature hasn't done anything worth mentioning since then. There have been a couple of appellate cases published, to the effect that the new and ultra-broad concealed dirk or dagger definition is so broad that intent or lack thereof to use the knife as a weapon becomes a factor, even if the statute doesn't say so.

Time for an update on that page, I guess.

------------------
- JKM
www.chaicutlery.com

Joe

Thanks for the Kudos and let me extend them to quite a few others in the knife industry who ponied up the dough to help us fight that fight. It is so easy to blow through $40 or $50 thousand in this type of struggle.

The Buck name really has pull in California, especially with our local polititions however AKTI will be recognized nationwide and, because of our members, be a political force with clout in all 50 states.

We are working on having, on our website, all the information needed to mobilize support or resistance to new legislation.

Thanks for the vote of confidence in your pledge to become a member.

------------------
CJ Buck
Buck Knives, Inc.

Back