Call for Charpy toughness samples

Larrin

Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider
In another thread reporting some of our initial charpy toughness testing, we got a couple offers for samples for toughness testing. I would be happy to test more samples for the benefit of everyone. While we might not be able to test everything, I am open to taking more samples to compare. There is very little toughness data out there, especially when it comes to comparing between different manufacturers. I would not be charging for the toughness tests, but anything that we measure will be shared with others.

The sample dimensions would need to be as follows:
2.5 x 10 x 55 mm, with 55mm being in the rolling direction. Samples would have to be ground on the 4 main surfaces (less critical on the ends), and parallel, likely requiring a surface grinder or other precision machining tool.

If anyone is willing to heat treat and machine samples for testing, please suggest in this thread what steel(s) and heat treatment(s) you would like to do. Everything we have done so far has had a liquid nitrogen treatment after quenching and prior to tempering so that we can eliminate the effect of retained austenite, so I would prefer that that step is added on other specimens, unless conditions both with and without cryo are provided.

Current tests that have been performed:
toughness-summary.jpg

Ideal hardness is 60 Rc, even better is a range from 58-64 Rc. Steels we would like to add (incomplete list):
M390/20CV at 60 Rc
S30V
S35VN
S90V
S110V
Vanax
Elmax
440C
ZDP-189
Micromelt XHP
Conventional XHP
Conventional 154CM
N690
VG-10
14C28N
12C27
Nitro-V

3V
4V
Vanadis 4 Extra
Vanadis 8
10V
CPM-M4
M2
A2

O1
15N20
L6
80CrV2
O7
F2
Blue 1, 2, Super
V-Toku 1, 2

Last edited:
Great news! I have a coupla questions. 1. What degree of finish/grit do the surfaces need? 2. Is a hole allowed for hanging by a wire and if so what would be the best location?
Many thanks for offering this service.

I’ll do z-wear and cast cru-wear for comparison in the three conditions Larrin suggested. Cryo plus low temper, no cryo plus high temper, and cryo plus high temper. Three samples of each condition.

Larrin, how would you like them marked?

Thank you so much Larrin.

Great news! I have a coupla questions. 1. What degree of finish/grit do the surfaces need? 2. Is a hole allowed for hanging by a wire and if so what would be the best location?
Many thanks for offering this service.
The ASTM standards don't seem to have anything about required finish. All I have found is stuff about being free from machining marks or scratches. The samples so far were finished at 150 grit. A hole is allowed, it would need to be near the end of the sample as they break in the center.

Edit: I found in the ASTM standard a requirement of 2 micron Ra, which is somewhere around 70 grit. Higher grit finish is better, of course.

I’ll do z-wear and cast cru-wear for comparison in the three conditions Larrin suggested. Cryo plus low temper, no cryo plus high temper, and cryo plus high temper. Three samples of each condition.

Larrin, how would you like them marked?

Thank you so much Larrin.
Keep the different conditions in separate bags with an appropriate label. Include a sheet that includes all relevant details about the heat treatment of each.

Sounds good Larrin. As soon as I get a chance I'll get some done and grind them to 220. Would you mind sending me a PM including your address? Thanks again.

Sounds good Larrin. As soon as I get a chance I'll get some done and grind them to 220. Would you mind sending me a PM including your address? Thanks again.
Sure, let's discuss in this thread what steels and heat treatments you would like to do. That way people can see what has been offered already. And if I decide not to test them I can say why for everyone to see.

I can't contribute, but thank you very much for this interesting and valuable research contribution.

I'd be very interested in benchmarking results for common cutlery steels, especially, to give comparison data against all the exotics.

Very much looking forward to this. I was just having a conversation yesterday with someone about the toughness of aebl and how it compared to 3v. But he refused to believe how tough it was without charpy data of both. Looking forward to what steels are put up and how they preform. Exciting times. Hope someone does aebl, 3v, 52100, 1095, 80crv2, cruforge V. If i had the ability to heat treat and prepare these steels i would

Very much looking forward to this. I was just having a conversation yesterday with someone about the toughness of aebl and how it compared to 3v. But he refused to believe how tough it was without charpy data of both. Looking forward to what steels are put up and how they preform. Exciting times. Hope someone does aebl, 3v, 52100, 1095, 80crv2, cruforge V. If i had the ability to heat treat and prepare these steels i would
Toughness is just one part of puzzles , valknut ;) Blade steel is always some kind of compromise ...........You can t get All in one ... sometime high wear resistance is more desirable ........ you always sacrifice something :)

As long as thy follow the simple specifications, whatever we test will be directly comparable to steels tested earlier, including AEB-L and Cruforge V.

Hope I did not open a can of worms in the last thread with my question. I can send you a bunch of 15n20 samples at different hardness. But do you test hardness after the test or befor? It’s funny becaus I’m going to look at a surface grinder on Tuesday that I’m considering buying. Only problem is my 15n20 is only .090 thick, I can forge weld some togather but I’m wondering if that will affect the test results.

Hope I did not open a can of worms in the last thread with my question. I can send you a bunch of 15n20 samples at different hardness. But do you test hardness after the test or befor? It’s funny becaus I’m going to look at a surface grinder on Tuesday that I’m considering buying. Only problem is my 15n20 is only .090 thick, I can forge weld some togather but I’m wondering if that will affect the test results.
It’s possible that it will affect it of course, both in terms of your forging and heat treating procedure as well as the welding. It won’t be breaking along the weld, though, so that impact should be minimal.

If someone wanted to set up a way that those of us who don't have equipment could chip in with cash I know that I would and I bet others also. Money could be used to purchase material or to help offset Mr Larren for his time and equipment. Good research is worth a lot.

If someone wanted to set up a way that those of us who don't have equipment could chip in with cash I know that I would and I bet others also. Money could be used to purchase material or to help offset Mr Larren for his time and equipment. Good research is worth a lot.
I will not accept any money. If anyone wants to offer material, heat treatment, or machining that would be helpful.

But do you test hardness after the test or befor? .
The best way to do it is to test hardness with a sacrificial coupon heat treated along with the others. You can get away with hardness measurements on the ends, however.

Back