Call for Charpy toughness samples

Very interesting. Thanks for all this effort. Looking forward to the results

What has been offered so far:

Willie71 - Z-wear, conventional Cru-Wear, comparing cryo + low temper against upper temper
Darrin Sanders - not specified
kuraki - 80CrV2, W1, W2, 4V, M4, and Rex 121
JTKnives - 15N20
DevinT - grinding

Shaping up to be a good list so far!

I’ll ask one of “my” makers for a piece of Ultrafort (Maraging steel) and for a piece of Vanadis 4 extra, Larrin Larrin . I’ve asked if he can heat treat both. If he don’t, can I send those pieces anyway? I hope the guy still have them laying around. Can’t wait for this results! And putting a Maraging steel into the mix will be interesting to see!

I’ll ask one of “my” makers for a piece of Ultrafort (Maraging steel) and for a piece of Vanadis 4 extra, Larrin Larrin . I’ve asked if he can heat treat both. If he don’t, can I send those pieces anyway? I hope the guy still have them laying around. Can’t wait for this results! And putting a Maraging steel into the mix will be interesting to see!
All pieces sent to me should be ready to test charpy samples.

JTknives JTknives I have .125 15N20 if you want I can just include it in my batch. Or I can send you a chunk to process.

if you would like some laminated steel with Hitachi white core, I could offer some up.
But I think it's kind of a specialty steel, meaning the lamination provides benefits but I don't that I would consider Hitachi white in a toughness conversation.
And also the heat treat would be different, straight water quench, flash temper, no cryo.

if you would like some laminated steel with Hitachi white core, I could offer some up.
But I think it's kind of a specialty steel, meaning the lamination provides benefits but I don't that I would consider Hitachi white in a toughness conversation.
And also the heat treat would be different, straight water quench, flash temper, no cryo.
It could be interesting. But you are correct, it would give the toughness of laminated white steel, not white steel itself. It would provide very little information about the toughness of White steel.

Anyone able to throw in some 8670. I could send someone a bar, if they’re willing to heat treat it! I don’t have the facilities to heat treat to the level I would like. But I will be willing to mail someone a bar!

Anyone able to throw in some 8670. I could send someone a bar, if they’re willing to heat treat it! I don’t have the facilities to heat treat to the level I would like. But I will be willing to mail someone a bar!

I think I have some here. It’s simple to heat treat, so I’ll process some and submit it. I’ll go for RC60/61.

I think I have some here. It’s simple to heat treat, so I’ll process some and submit it. I’ll go for RC60/61.
Sweet, thanks man. I’ve been using it a bit, but I can’t dial in a heat treat as accurately as you guys can. I’m really liking it so far, it seems to be a really tough steel.

Sweet, thanks man. I’ve been using it a bit, but I can’t dial in a heat treat as accurately as you guys can. I’m really liking it so far, it seems to be a really tough steel.

Yes, it’s tough, and has a wide range of flexibility in heat treat. It makes a pretty good kitchen knife at Rc63 as well.

Thanks man for the 15n20 Im talking to devin right now about his 15n20. I forgot that I also have a bunch of 5160 that I can coupon up. Its .25 thick but i can get it close to thickness if someone wants to spark it out on there grinder. I also have 52100 in large round stock that i can slice off a thin cookie. And I have some nice A2 that I can cut up. Right now i'm out of LN though.

Another one that would be interesting to see is 3v with nates heat treat tweeks! I’m pretty sure there is no toughness values other than the tests Nate has done for edge stability.

Back