Calling all sharpeners

I recently came into possesion of a very cool, very old chinese (not japanese) sword...the problem is that it's dull ( like my swords sharp, even if they are antique) . I have no knowledge or materials for sharpening, but I know many of the experts on this forum do. If you wouldn't mind putting a very sharp edge on the sword for me please let me know, I'll pay shipping and such.

Try not to sharpen yr blade as it may change the geomentry of the sword since some are clam shaped (and is extremly hard to sharpen and yet keep its grind) and may devalue yr antique. why not have it appraised first to check its worth?

Please, please be careful. The historic (and esthetic) value of the sword may be destroyed by sharpening. If you check with an expert in sword appraisal they may be able to give you advice on restoring the blade, but I have heard of fine antique Japanese swords being polished by amateurs causing them to lose thousands of dollars in value, and seen fine antique American and European swords ruined by amateur restoration. (In addition, many mass produced US and European swords were not "sharp" in the modern sense, and some collectors may pay more for the original "dull" edge since they feel it's more historically accurate.)

Professional restoration of a blade can insure that it keeps it's value and will remain intact for future generations to enjoy. If you'd like a "using" sword there's plenty of reputable places to find such a thing, excellent quality copies of just about every culture and era. That way you don't have to worry about damaging the blade, since they're usually so much cheaper than the originals.

By the way, congratulations on your new acquisition! May it bring you many hours of enjoyment whatever you decide.

[This message has been edited by Snuffy (edited 11-17-2000).]

:
Matt you have been given some very valuable advice here.
And like the others I would urge you to find out exactly what you have here before you do anything rash.
You might have accidently stumbled onto what I call "10% deals" where you have bought an object for a little of nothing that's worth a great deal. I have lucked out like that a few times. I bought a Pre WW II Marble's Ideal for $1.25 at a garage sale and it's worth $125.00 of anyone's money. I also bought a glass "Epergne" for $1.50 that turned out to be an old antique Amber Cambridge glass piece worth $150.00 as I saw one just after that
in an antique store priced for more than that at $225.00, so please find out what you have before doing anythng rash.
smile.gif

However, if it's not anything special and you already know this to be fact then if I wanted it sharpened I would do so.
I would volunteer myself, but I am so far behind on projects that no telling when I could get to it.
Terry Sisco is more than qualified to do something like that and I firmly believe Terry could keep the original geometry of the blade very close.
Terry, Rusty and myself collaborated on restoreing Uncle Bill's first ever Shop 1 15"AK That he had tested beyond belief to make sure they could do what anyone demanded of them and it came out better than new, and I would be glad to give Terry any tips or access to any of my equipement to do the job needing to be done.

Please let us know what you find out and have decided to do.
If Terry can't do it for whatever reason you might try the sword forum or talk to Rusty who might know someone as he is into swords.
Good Luck!

------------------
>>>>---¥vsa---->®

Each person's work is always a portrait of himself.

---- Samuel Butler.

Khukuri FAQ
Himalayan Imports Website

Matt, Yvsa: I am definitely interested in swords, but then so is a 14 or 15 year old boy interested in girls. And a lot of what either the 14 year old boy knows 'bout girls or I know about swords just ain't so.

:
Little Bro I know exactly what you mean, but you do know or know of some people who knows about swords.
AND I Know you have good taste in the girls.
smile.gif
biggrin.gif
smile.gif

------------------
>>>>---¥vsa---->®

Each person's work is always a portrait of himself.

---- Samuel Butler.

Khukuri FAQ
Himalayan Imports Website

Rusty and Yvsa, I respectfully acknowledge your comments about swords and females. However, for the record, given enough time, money, and resources a man can come to be an expert on swords -- but no man will EVER really know anything about women, even if given unlimited time and funds! I'm convinced that men and women are really two different species, and that it's just a matter of coincidence that our body parts fit.

I was watching Antiques Road Show on TV and saw an antique dresser that was reduced in value by $50,000.00 because someone refinished it. I would get the sword appraised. If it's real valuable I would sell it and get a dozen real cool replicas to sharpen.

Back