Caly 3 in G10 or Carbon Fiber?

mongomondo

SUPPRESSING FIRE
Yeah it's the zdp whatever laminated blade. Right now I'm thinking the g10 version because I personally like g10 a lot and the blade is probably good enough. But I do have some extra cash right now so I'm debating if the better blade is worth it but I most likely won't be able to tell the difference.

I have both and I think it's worth it. The CF CalyIII doesn't really perform that much better than the G-10 version, and I kind of think the more advanced blade steel is offset by slightly less grip. That being said my G-10 Caly is starting to get that user look, so if I still want to carry a Caly but want something nicer, the CF is perfect.
In other word's, I think that you really have to love the CalyIII design for it to feel "worth it"

EDIT: If you don't have either, I would start with the G-10 version. I think it is the slightly better value of the two.

yep, agree.

I EDC the Caly 3 ZDP, but if I had to pick one, I'd go for the Caly 3 in G10 as ZDP tends to be less corrosion resistant and the 420J laminate scratches itself when I'm not looking.

I love the Caly III design and FWIW I think it is almost the perfect design for a general purpose EDC folder.

I have both versions but bought the G10/ VG10 version first as I felt the finish on both the handle and the blade are a proven combination and worthy of a user blade. Unless you are doing harcore work with it the G10/ VG10 version should do for most tasks.

Since than I have bought a CF/ ZDP version. It definitely looks a bit more flashy and for a classier looking knife it beats the G10 version any day.

HOWEVER, I too note that straight out of the box the G10/ VG10 version was buttery smooth but the CF/ ZDP version wasn't as smooth in its action.

Both knives seem to cut like lasers and I am unsure if the average user requires the CF/ ZDP version or even if they'd notice the difference except for the staining concerns.

I'd say that for less maintenance and for general use go for the G10 unless you can afford it. But in the long term go get BOTH :)

I love the Caly III design and FWIW I think it is almost the perfect design for a general purpose EDC folder.

I have both versions but bought the G10/ VG10 version first as I felt the finish on both the handle and the blade are a proven combination and worthy of a user blade. Unless you are doing harcore work with it the G10/ VG10 version should do for most tasks.

Since than I have bought a CF/ ZDP version. It definitely looks a bit more flashy and for a classier looking knife it beats the G10 version any day.

HOWEVER, I too note that straight out of the box the G10/ VG10 version was buttery smooth but the CF/ ZDP version wasn't as smooth in its action.
Both knives seem to cut like lasers and I am unsure if the average user requires the CF/ ZDP version or even if they'd notice the difference except for the staining concerns.

I'd say that for less maintenance and for general use go for the G10 unless you can afford it. But in the long term go get BOTH :)

Dan,
My CF Caly needed a little initial attention as well. It needed a good cleaning inside and a tiny bit of lube, now it opens closes like a charm. I agree that if you really love the Caly then then get both if finances allow.

Thanks Shawn,

Received it only a few days ago, gotta find some time to play with it a bit more and do some maintenance on it. Hoping to get it as smooth as the G10 one. Might give it a wash out and relube everything then play with it a few hundred times.

I just picked up a CF caly last week and it has quickly become one of my favorite for edc. The size, the way it rides low in the pocket and the cf gives the knife a great look!

I have both and the CF feels better in my hand. The G10 feels close to ideal, but the CF Caly3 (and CF Superhawk) feel ideal.

I think the CF has more wow appeal, but the G10 is def. a great piece as well