Calypso Jr owners, comment please, both sides

I have this on order, and am looking for opinions on it. I want both good and bad, so far only heard good on this.

I'm getting the Lightweight, FRN/VG-10, as it offers the best steel(and the Delica isn't flat grind). I purchased the SS Dragonfly on the 20th, and placed my order on the 22nd... Just wanted an extra inch!

I own the(going down in size)PE Delica,40/60 Wegner jr,PE SS Dragonfly,SE Tufram Cricket,50/50 Ladybug.

feel free to compare to any of these...

Well, I have had my lightweight Calypso for a few weeks and I am very pleased with it. Its hair popping sharp and still seems that way after a few weeks of moderate use. I really like the texture on the handles over the standard grip on my delicas and endura. Being a southpaw I also like the reversable pocketclip on it.

Only thing I wish for would be for it to be constructed better. Not that there is anything wrong with its current construction, and it would have to remain that way to maintain the pricepoint, but I wish it had actual screws instead of rivets holding it together.

It has replaced my Delica as my 2nd EDC, my primary EDC currenly is a Benchmade Griptilian which I am also very pleased with. Some day I may get my hands on a Wenger or the new "lynx" and then I should be very happy.

VampyreWolf

I got my Calypso JR lightweight a few weeks ago and I love it. The texture of the fish scale FRN is a pleasure to hold and it's very grippy. Mine is a plain edge, and it's incredibly sharp. I did a bit of Spyderco showmanship at work, I grabbed a guy's yellow legal pad and promptly lopped off a corner about an inch in. Cut it like a laser, he had never seen a knife so sharp.
It's also a good looking knife, love the little yellow spyder on the clip.
I really think you will love it. Just be careful. We don't want to hear of any woundings when you test its edge.

Mike

the only wounding will be to my arm, from too much sun exposure(after I shave all the hair off testing the blade).

I took about a 2" peice off testing my Dragonfly... damn that thing is sharp!

can't wait to compare vg-10 to ats-55.

Have the calypso for a year really nice knife good steel there is nothing bad to say about them they work. You will not be sorry for getting one of these. Wish they would make the large Calypso again.

Health probs and procrastination have prevented my getting ahold of the appropriate wrench to move the clip to the other side. I bought it intending to carry it left side, but bought used Native at same time. The Native is stouter, and has even better steel, so somehow I never get the Calypso Jr into my pocket much. I do carry it right side occasionally, and then replace the Native with my Goddard. Like to have one large, one medium sized.

I regard the opinions of Joe Talmadge very highly. He isn't given to hyperbole or much praise. But, his praise of the VG-10 Calypso Jr., gets much of the credit for my decision to buy one. He has written his opinion that there is no truly competitive knife in the US manufactured scene. Says nothing cuts like it.

I do think I'd have carried it a lot more, had I not gotten the Native at the same time. I do feel that the CJr has the best gripping FRN handle of any knife I've handled.

The Calypso Jr is a great knife but I gave mine to my father-in-law because it did'nt really feel comfortable in my hand. I also think the hole is a little too small (maybe my Rescue model spoiled me).

Good luck,
Allen.

The Calypso Lightweight Jr. is very close to being a pocket scalpel.
The blade edge is thin and astoundingly sharp OOB.
The handle texture is the best I've ever felt on a FRN handle. It fills the hand rather well for what I consider to be a smaller folder and is quite easy to use.
The idea of imbedding female metal screw inserts for the tip down carry clip was just the extra touch that puts this baby over the top.
IMHO, the Calypso Lightweight Jr. and the 440V Native are easily the best FRN(Zytel) folders in the Spyderco line.

The Calypso Jr. is a great knife! I agree with misque about the Jr. and Native. Two great FRN knives.

The Calypso Jr is a great knife. I love the blade steel, incredibly sharp and easy to resharpen (sharpmaker). The rivet construction looks a little cheap but it is built well. Used mine for several months around home and work, it is still as tight as it was when I first got it. You will not be disappointed.

The Calypso Jr. Ltwt. is an excellent EDC. I let one of my buddies use mine a few months back (a test drive :) ). Now he owns one, is getting one for his brother, and also took orders from most of the guys in Special Investigations.

The Calypso Jr. is going to be the official (unofficial) knife of his unit. :)

Light, flat ground VG-10, reversible clip...what's not to like?

The Calypso line is probably the best effort in the Spyderco line. As I understand it Sal designed this
knife himself, or had a hand in it. If you look very closely at the blade the Wharncliff shape comes
out. Spyderco improved it to make the Calypso by adding a little belly to the edge. The hy-bred blade
shape is one of the reasons this knife works so very well in everyday use. The large Calypso is such
an elegant awsome knife I looked until I owned both the plain & serrated versions. I carry the Calypso
Jr. everyday finding it the to best knife for many jobs. It along with my stockman / Strikeforce / leatherman
are always with me. The Jr. is fast , friendly,useful where the large is fast,awsome, useful. What's not to
like??

actually, we still don't know what the grind will be...

saber grind is what we're hearing so far, but it may change still

I LOVE my Calypso Jr. Lightweight. It is a superb knife. I also owned the micarta version, but it just didnt grab me like the FRN one. I traded it to a friend (along with a plain edge worker for an AWESOME plain edge military. Another great knife.)

Not a day goes by that I dont carry either the Military or the Calypso Jr. Sometimes I carry both...

--Matt

Kinda one of the big reasons for this forum

and along those lines.............
COLOR :cool:

I carry my Calypso jr with me everyday. It is light, looks great with working clothes ,super sharp and cuts well.What more can I say ....

Back