Camel Soup

I wonder if the members in Italy will put out 'Camel Soup " for the Camels ?? :)

I had asked the question on another forum and got one response , and he had to ask his mother ! Sad how old practices disappear. :(
The three wise guys , oops ,I mean Wise Men come at Christmas and it was the practice to leave a snack for their camels. This consisted of a bowl of water and some bread . This was the practice in parts of northern Italy. I thought I'd get response from someone in Italy or Italian background . Not even a comment from Herlock !

Thanks for the explanation :)

I like practices like these, which have meaning behind them... Today they have been replaced by social media and Christmas Eve fireworks shows, not quite the same (although I do like fireworks).

Hi mete mete ! The one you're describing looks to me more a Spanish tradition. In Northern Regions in Italy (and in many Southern ones also) we celebrate the Befana. It’s a mix of Roman, German, Eastern European traditions. We normally leave a glass of sweet wine (like Moscato/Passito) and a slice of cake for the old lady visiting the children :). Take care!

I had heard the term camel soup years ago but knew little about it. There were also things about leaving out food and it was gone in the morning to prove that someone like Santa had been there . You're response adds a few more things !! Thanks !

Back