Camillus Boy Scout Knives

Good story. In my neck of the woods (St.Louis) as a boy, lots of the kids had dads that worked at McDonnel Douglas. And of course, they cheated, took over their projects, specially weighted the cars with their engineering background, and carved the cars to look like futuristic Lamborghinis (actually I bet there was no carving at all, just power sanding), with the paint jobs to match. Dirty deal....not even sure my car placed....which was made to look like a 40's racer. At least I followed the rules.......

Yes, Pinewood Derby was a HUGE deal and a lesson in how adults cheat for their children. I had two yrs into Cubbing but got intense migraines after each den meeting. My mom pulled the plug.....she didn't like to participate anyway. I thought about Boy Scouting but figured the migraine thing would haunt me there as well.

Kevin
The voice of experience. When I was a Cubmaster, one dad worked at NASA Lewis Reasearch Center (now "Glenn Research Center") and had some super lubricant for his "son's" car. Could not be beat. We spent three years trying to solve this issue, but dads would lie and be indignant about it. One thing we did do was to remove the wheels, clean off the axles and wheels, lube with the permitted graphite, and not allow the car to be touched until it ran. Still, the kids didn't build the cars.

The voice of experience. When I was a Cubmaster, one dad worked at NASA Lewis Reasearch Center (now "Glenn Research Center") and had some super lubricant for his "son's" car. Could not be beat. We spent three years trying to solve this issue, but dads would lie and be indignant about it. One thing we did do was to remove the wheels, clean off the axles and wheels, lube with the permitted graphite, and not allow the car to be touched until it ran. Still, the kids didn't build the cars.
Exactly my point! What an example for your boy(s) and everything else in life. I can still remember the sting of seeing those exotic-made cars with their perfect paint jobs and how they led the pack in all the races.

I was a den leader for two yrs. Had the meetings at my farm, most often in a huge barn where we sat on straw bales. One day my 'assistant' turned on me and asked why weren't our den kids earning more badges. I looked at her and said, "Because they are supposed to earn them." Went right over the top of her head. She really thought that just by attending meetings, they would automatically get merit badges.

Kevin

Did you know….
Out of 100 vintage “official” Cub Scout Knives in the marketplace today, both blue jigged and blue utility, smooth Cub rarities resolve to the following Scout knife manufacturers.

80 were stamped by Camillus
14were stamped by Imperial
3 were stamped Scout Ware “China”
2 were stamped by Bear MGC
1 was stamped Colonial

Some Bear MGCs and Colonial blades were delivered in Scout Ware boxes. hmmmmmm.

Don de Young
Cub Scout Historian
Author: The Virtual Cub Leader’s Handbook
Author: The Collector’s Cubbook

-

Never seen this
Colonial Cutlery manufactured three different “Official Cub Scout” knives for about two years (after Camillus) as follows:

1) Blue pseudo jigged handle, 3 blade/tool “standard” Camp knife
2) Blue flat handle, no jigging, white thermo painted Cub shield, “standard” Uility knife
3) All stainless, military-style blade/tool “standard” pocket knife, Cub Scout logo lasered

Bear MGC made the same three blades, so did Camillus, so did Imperal, and Scout Ware.

I have ~20 very different ’Official‘ Cub Scout knives, and suspect there are ~10 more out there.

Has anyone ever tried to determine what an entire set of Cub knives would consist of? The two decent Scout knife collector’s guides are lacking when it comes to Cubbies.

Don
Cybercubber

F.Y.I.

Colonial had no plant whatsoever in the U.S at that time (or since). Might have been made in Italy. The Colonial brand Cub Knife with bolsters is nicely made.

Last edited:
Thank you! 🤝
Is Tobias Gibson a member of the BF or AAPK?

Up: There are more questions...
I found your post in the "Colonial Knife Company" thread - "Their U.S. factory. Closed 1998" (the second video mentions 2002)
At the same time, Tobias Gibson's video says they made BSA knives in 2007-2008 and they were USA made.
Something doesn't add up 😕

Last edited:
Back