Camillus branded Buck?

Looking for some input on this blade, Not sure how rare it may be, if at all. I posted this in the Buck forum and it was suggested i post it here. Since I live pretty close to Camillus NY, it is not unusual to find Camillus knives in pawn shops, at flea markets and at gun shows. I picked this one up recently and am trying to narrow down it's production date (70's or 80's?) and get a sense of it's value. I have spoken to some who say that because it is well known that in the early days, Camillus was producing Buck 301's, that this was left over and Camillus simply removed the buck tang stamp, and branded / badged it Camillus.

OTcOpJo.jpg

Any input appreciated!
Cosmo

During the last years that Camillus was open, it was common practice to etch the brand on the tangs. This was frequently done on blades that had another customer's brand ground off. For example-After Schrade closed in 2004 any blades remaining at the Camillus factory had the "SCHRADE" tang stamp removed and the "CamilluS" name etched in its place. Nothing was thrown away at Camillus.

Tom Williams

While Camillus made that knife for Buck, it was also made for different companies. It may have had a Buck stamp but it may just as well had another name on it. The black sawscore handles were exclusively Buck but different colors were used for different customers. I agree with the others - excess parts used to clean up inventory.

Thanks for the info. I am starting to see the possibilities for how and when it may have been made. I looked at the big auction site to see if any identical knives had recently been listed or sold and could not even find one. Can anyone give me an idea as to the Rarity and approximate value of this knife?

Hey, you got some additional help here on Camillus forum. I'll shoot my mouth off over here also. Value is as stated, a knife made up in effort to utilize parts on hand. I think I have one like yours and maybe have seen one or two more. Remember these were knives sold and bought to be carried and used. However many were made, most met a normal life's end.

Value of your knife is as a knife for a collector seeking examples of Camillus 'parts' knives or in a Buck collection to show a odd ball knife made up by Bucks contractor for themselves. Price would not be great in either case, more of just a knife to put in a display of the unusual. Price would need to be pretty regular to get a collector to bite. I value 'lunch box' knives about the same unusual but not valuable.
300Bucks

Back