Camillus Closed

For all that care, Camillus Cutlery will close Wed.
Good luck to all!!!!!!!!
No other info was given to us. Just that our last day will be Wed.:barf:

I had hoped they could pull it together, even if it meant importing stuff for a while.

When will people learn that they can't buy cheap imports and not effect the American economy. :mad:

This is a sad day for us all. :( :( :(

My best wishes to the remaining Camillus workers, and those who had to leave earlier! Another American cutlery icon falls. :(

Dale

Sad indeed. I will be interested in seeing the hand played out, however. It could go any of a half dozen ways from this point. I didn't find anything from Charlie in the Syracuse Post Standard just now, but it is a story she has been following.

I just received more Camillus history research in the mail today. An example?

From the Camillus Digest, October 1952

RETIRED__
Gabor Nagy, born 1886, in Hungary. Employed in a knife factory in Stosz, Hungary, he heard from friends in Camillus about the better living and working conditions here. He arrived in 1909 - that makes 43 steady years! Now Gabor is doing a lot of gardening and fixing things around the house.

Frank Kappe, born 1887, Hamburg, Germany. As a Western Union boy in New York, he delivered messages to Adolph Kastor, who asked him one day, "How would you like to learn the cutlery business?" That was in 1904. He learned it well. After 48 years he has decided to "take it easy."

A lot of history in those old buildings.

Codger

this is a sad day. another good American company gone. i too was hoping for another Becker run. i guess that bk11 i wanted is now $100.00. i can't find one anyway.

Sad day indeed.

But inevitable considering the ownership's interests.

Most of them made out really well from Camillus in the last 14 years since Albert Baer died.

They will tell you they lost money at Camillus. The sale of half of Smokey Mountain Knife Works, purchased with Jim Furgal's vision & all the sweat of all those commited knife workers for all those years, rewarded them $$$$$$! :barf:

I believe Jim Furgal took a big hit in the wallet; he loved the Company and did his absolute best for Her like so many of us did. Since they took over his control Camillus Cutlery Company was doomed to auger in!

And let's not forget the state of those Pension Funds. I can't wait to see how those will be after all this! :jerkit:

Needless to say, all this is JUST MY OPINION.

By the way Codger, Charlie at the Syracuse Post Standard is a She.
She has tried to get to the truth on this. I wish her the very best & I hope I can be of assistance in her quest. From my perspective, this has been a mini Enron. I hope she has the drive to get all the Sordid details for the record.

Just refer to this as the Camron Scandal.
:barf: :barf: :barf: :barf::barf: :barf: :barf: :barf:

That is a real shame. Sorry to hear it. Just about everybody who has carried an American brand knife has probably carried one made by Camillus.

For all that care, Camillus Cutlery will close Wed.
Good luck to all!!!!!!!!
No other info was given to us. Just that our last day will be Wed.:barf:

It is and will always be remembered as a sad day.

n2s

Hey Cookie, so sorry old friend.

Tell the guys & girls I said I truely Love You Guys

Very best wishes to you all.
If I can be of any help to any of you in any way at all please let me know.

I'll be back in March, maybe we should have a Wake.

Looks like I'll be hanging on to my USMC. Wish I still had the trapper I let slip through my fingers.

Frank

First and foremost - best wishes to the Camillus familiy (by family I mean those of us who grew up together at Camillus and put in our 25+ years).

It is truly a sad day but a day that we knew would eventually arrive whether we wanted to admit it or not. Its sad also because so many lives are being affected out of nothing more than personal greed.

I guess coffee lady will have to find a new place to do nothing all day and the "new" shipping room clerk will finally have to stay home and put up with his wife. Not sure which one to feel sorry for. I could go on and on but what's the sense?

One final note - GK should rot in hell but I'm not sure the devil would even let him in hell.

Okay people, nothing to see here, move on.

what a drag

I hope some peghead doesn't start selling absolute crud under the Camillus name

But I wouldn't be surprised.

Didn't we just go through this in 2004 with the Schrade closing?? God, what a sad day for our country when the icons of industry fold like a deck of stacked cards. I guess it depends on who's stacking the cards. I wish everyone the best.
Dave

For all of those that curse tariffs on imports, take note.
Camillus gave this country its heart and soul when the government needed it the most. What has happened is nothing short of betrayal by our government officials and the maggots that stick money in their pockets to kill American businesses through unfair competition.

Phil, you guys have gone beyond the call of duty on this board.

Thank you for the good times. Let's keep the faith.

"The fat lady ain't sung yet."

Another legacy of Bill Clinton & Geo. Bush. Both were/are big supporters of NAFTA.

I wonder where they will get their tax money when the last American job is sent overseas? :barf: :mad:

A simplistic view I know, much more is involved, but you cannot build a strong economy when the jobs are shipped overseas, just so we can appease foreign leaders & buy cheap imports. Someone in this country has to work & pay taxes!

Just my $.02
Dale

Back