Camillus Cub Scout

Let's not outdate the can opener too soon. I made a taco salad for supper tonight and needed a can opener for the green chilis and rotel. Out of the pocket came the tried and true P38 I've had for nearly 40 years.

Last edited:
6oKj2zBl.jpg

vnN769El.jpg

I pulled mine out just last week. I love the little cub scout for the same reasons Buzz mentioned. I've often thought about getting mine recovered as I have no sentiment towards the cub scout badge either.

I was surprised to see the liner lock on a scout knife so I picked one up a few months ago to inspect. I agree, it's a unique and practical pattern... albeit a bit ugly LoL o_O

CCS-1A.jpg

CCS-1B.jpg

- Kevin

I can't really remember how old I was but I'll guess around 8 or 9 when my parents bought me this knife. It went on many adventures in the backwoods of Wisconsin. That was long before I really knew how to take care of a knife but it's still solid, a bit weak in the springs but solid.

IMG_2161.jpg

There's a cel version which would be the ones to get new scales on.

I’ve had those same thoughts for years. I even went as far as to buy the slab of natural canvas micarta.
I couldn't make up my mind between natural micarta or a nice jigged bone. I have a couple others in mind I may just have to reach out about.

The singing sword will sing only for its rightful owner! Don't change the covers!:D
I have also thought that I may have a child who goes through Cub scouts at some point and may appreciate the covers. But I don't and the delrin is very off putting!

I actually had one with 4 blades purchased at Sanger-Harris department store in approx 1969, as they were the only store that carried Scouting uniforms in my area.
I had the knife until sometime in the mid '90's and must have lost it during a move (or simply have no clue where I put it)

I actually had one with 4 blades purchased at Sanger-Harris department store in approx 1969, as they were the only store that carried Scouting uniforms in my area.
I had the knife until sometime in the mid '90's and must have lost it during a move (or simply have no clue where I put it)
Keep looking for it!
I just edited my post from the dawn of time to say I must have been mistaken about having had a four-bladed cub. That's another reason not to trade things away, so you don't forget.
Except it's perfectly easy to misremember the things you've kept.

Last edited:
I have a blue one downstairs, but it doesn't have the shiny shield of the one I traded away. It also has a slightly worn main blade.
The black Imperial below looked like it had spent a long time in a gravel road rut when I bought it- like the old Timex commercials, it 's still ticking. The white Camillus is the most pristine one I've got. The Imperial has more gradual crinks than the Camillusses.
S0HBS3v.jpg

Y4eLb8C.jpg

The white one is the one I got by beating Daniel Boone at mumbledy peg. No, the black one.

Last edited:
Camillus made a great knife and I treasure my Cub Scout knife. I had a Boy Scout knife but my best friend stole it. I did not let it ruin our friendship and forgave him. I lost a knife and kept a life long friend.

Back