Camillus lockback question

I have a Camillus knife I got in about 1980. It is a single blade, lockback with brass bolsters and pins with a medium colored wood inlay. It has the sword brand logo on the blade and a 4 stamped near the base of the blade. Looks similar in size and shape to a buck 110. I came with a reddish colored sheath.

I searched for a model #4 but didn't come up with much. It was first first knife, a gift from my father, and will never be for sale. I'm just looking for information about years of production and such.

It's also the knife I received my first gnarly cut from being careless with it.

I have a couple of Camillus lock-backs but they are model number 886. Can you post a picture? Here is a picture of mine.

100-3603.JPG

The model #4 LOK-BACK (#5758 pattern) was introduced in 1976. The first examples of this knife had seperate brass linings and bolsters. In 1978 the knife was changed and began using powdered metal bolster scales-the linings and bolsters were made in one piece.
I remember when the first LOK-BACK knives were made at Camillus. A sample of each of the new LOK-BACK knives (models #2, #3 and #4) were brought down to the sales office and spread out on a desk. They had just been finished in the buffing room. Camillus was somewhat behind the other knife companies in offering a lock back knife. Buck had introduced the highly successful model #110. The Camillus salesman and dealers were anxiously waiting for the new models by Camillus. Prior to the introduction of the LOK-BACK knives, Camillus was offering the CAM-LOK and LOK-RANCHER style knives (models #7 and #88) that featured the sliding locks in the handles. My mother came up with the CAM-LOK name for the trademark.

Tom Williams

Model #4 was made from 1976 to 2001 (prior to 1990 marked "Sword Brand" logo).
4-3/4" closed size
8" open size
3-1/8" stainless steel clip blade
Laminated Rosewood handle
4.jpg

Was there ever a full size ( buck 110 size) model lockback made in carbon steel? I have yet to find one other than Boker, and the old Gerber Sportsman 2 in "V" steel (vascowear).

joe

Back