Camillus Manufactured Buck 303 Cadet Expertise Required

DirtDawg

Gold Member
Ref: Camillus manufactured Buck 303 Cadets shown - NFS

Having searched threads and forums until my eyes crossed, I've not been able to get my question answered.
Having contacted Buck Knives with my question, and being referred over to bladeforums for an answer, I decided to just jump in and ask. Since I've been unable to learn anything from the Buck 300 History forum regarding my questions, I decided to ask here.

Both knives shown appear to be of Camillus manufacture.
Both knives shown are of nearly identical construction - blade placement, number of springs, brass liner quantities and construction, etc, etc.

The differences I've noted are as follows:
- #2 closed length is .025" shorter than #1
- #2 is also .025" thinner (over scales) than #1
- #2 is noticeably lighter in weight than #1 (when picking up both knives without paying attention to which is which)
- #2 long-pull is .150" shorter in length than #1
- #2 long pull is also positioned farther from the tang than #1 pull
- #2 swedge is not nearly as significant as on #1

I'm just curious as to why this might be. Is anyone able and/or willing to shed light on my inquiry?

The long pull and swedge differences are what really have me wondering.

20220924_224305-E14-C-T-DDS.jpg
20221005_171942-C-E14-DDS.jpg20221005_172038-C-E14-DDS.jpg20221005_172152-C-E14-DDS.jpg

I'm not an expert but have 2 of the same era 303s, built by Camillus for Buck.

The top one in my 1st photo is pretty much identical to your #2 - shorter pull and minimal swedge. The other is the same as #2 but has a significant swedge. I have not seen a time line that is any more specific than '74-85. I would guess that during that time, tooling may have been replaced and the length of long pull changed. The addition of the swedge may have been a hand operation and could have varied considerably, depending on the operator and condition, wear and adjustment of the abrasive.

The top knife in my back spring photo shows what appears to be brighter (semi) stainless colored back springs, similar to your right photo. The other one has darker carbon steel patina like the left one in your photo. I'm guessing Camillus switched to stainless back spring material during this 11 year time period. It would be nice to know when that happened as it could help pinpoint manufacturing dates. 300Bucks 300Bucks might know more about this.

If you go to a December 24, 2020 thread on Camillus Collectors Forum you will find a discussion of transitions of Camillus blade materials and of construction techniques. This, unfortunately, will not answer you question. It will, however, provide information about changes in Camillus/Buck transitions that may help as supplemental information.Good luck!

I'm not an expert but have 2 of the same era 303s, built by Camillus for Buck.

The top one in my 1st photo is pretty much identical to your #2 - shorter pull and minimal swedge. The other is the same as #2 but has a significant swedge. I have not seen a time line that is any more specific than '74-85. I would guess that during that time, tooling may have been replaced and the length of long pull changed. The addition of the swedge may have been a hand operation and could have varied considerably, depending on the operator and condition, wear and adjustment of the abrasive.

The top knife in my back spring photo shows what appears to be brighter (semi) stainless colored back springs, similar to your right photo. The other one has darker carbon steel patina like the left one in your photo. I'm guessing Camillus switched to stainless back spring material during this 11 year time period. It would be nice to know when that happened as it could help pinpoint manufacturing dates. 300Bucks 300Bucks might know more about this.

Thanks for that plb. It's good to know that someone else has noticed, or at least recognizes the differences. Not that it really matters to me, but a lifetime as a toolmaker/machine builder/manufacturing engineer has groomed me to look at details.

If you go to a December 24, 2020 thread on Camillus Collectors Forum you will find a discussion of transitions of Camillus blade materials and of construction techniques. This, unfortunately, will not answer you question. It will, however, provide information about changes in Camillus/Buck transitions that may help as supplemental information.Good luck!
Thank you buckthorn. I'm new to the forums, and am still finding my way around here. I'll continue to search for that thread. If you are able to provide a link, that would be very helpful. I'm just a country boy, and I tend to get lost in this big city of threads.

Back