Camillus Marine Combat Knife: History

Hello,

Yesterday, I purchased a Camillus Marine Combat Knive. I've always wanted a knife of that style, on account of its history. The price was right so I splurged, doing my little part to help out Camillus.

I then did some research to see what I had purchased, reading several threads on at this site (think before you buy, what a concept ! :) . Anyway, in one thread, there was discussion of the Camillus version vs the Ka-bar version. One poster said that both versions were historically significant, having served in multiple wars with American troops. The post was then challenged by another poster. I am assuming that the Ka-bar's role with the Marine Corps. dominates peoples' mind, and therefore any contribution Camillus has made tends to get overlooked. (I was personally unaware of the Camillus history in this respect myself).

Since the post went unchallenged, so that the uninformed like myself, was left wondering: Did the Camillus Marine Combat Knife have any role in World War II and other conflicts?

The answer is, Yes.

I post this from Camillus's website "History, World War II" so that someone can pull it up on a search.

Camillus Knives in World War II
5684L77 Marine Corps Sheath Knife
(Marine Combat) Of these knives included the extremely popular Marine Combat #5684 7-inch bladed survival/combat fixed blade. Camillus was the original contractor the armed forces chose to produce this piece. Ruggedly built, the Marine Combat boasted such features like a 7 inch black phosphate coated 1095 high carbon steel blade, a stacked leather washer handle, and a riveted leather sheath. The handle is even treated with a special chemical that resists moisture and rot, something that can certainly wreak havoc on leather while exposed to the elements. Undoubtedly, the 5684 was heavily used in the trenches for close quarters combat as well as general survival tasks for the thousands of young men risking life and limb for our freedom. Throughout the years following the armed conflicts, today Camillus is still producing the Marine Combat - for both the military as well as the civilian markets - to the original specs with no changes. The 5684 Marine Combat fixed blade fighter has withstood the ultimate test of time and has remained a popular design for Camillus. Total amount produced: 806,600

Hope this helps someone,
Zippy

I can add nothing to your post, zip, but my favorite Camillus advertising photo that illustrates the various military knives made by our company.

CamillusWartimeKnives.jpg

According to Levine Camillus made many more of these than Ka-Bar did. I dont recall the reason that they all became known as Ka-Bar's though.

Camillus made the Mark 2 knife (model #5684) for the U.S. Marines and U.S. Navy during WWII. The first design used a threaded tang and nut to secure the handle and butt. In late 1943 the knife was redesigned and the handle and butt were retained by a single pin through the butt and tang. This second design is still used today. Since WWII Camillus has produced several million of the Mark 2's.

Tom Williams

Camillus recently reproduced the WWII era Mark 2 knife for use in the movie WINDTALKERS.

CAMCO: Am I to take it that these "windtalkers" k-bars aren't or were never mean't to be made available for sale to the general public? Picture please!

The Mark 2 knives that were made for the movie WINDTALKERS were the same as the model #5685 USMC Combat knife but used a sheath that was specially ordered to match the WWII issue. After the movie I saw these knives offered on Ebay by a company specializing in movie props.

Tom Williams

GIRLYmann said:
CAMCO: Am I to take it that these "windtalkers" k-bars aren't or were never mean't to be made available for sale to the general public? Picture please!

It's interesting how the name "Ka-Bar" became generic for this knife style, the way "Outers", and "Woodcraft" did for other patterns. Also the myths as to the origin of the "Ka-Bar" name (kill-a-bear).

Anyone have a screen capture of the knife and sheath from the movie, or the same model in their collection? Maybe a Camillus promo picture?

Codger

Back